Willow to Yentna to Skwentna to Finger Lake!

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Willow to Yentna to Skwentna to Finger Lake!

Postby elsietee » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:22 pm

Tracker Snap of the field:

Tracker12-19_03-05-18a.JPG

Tracker12-19_03-05-18b.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:33 pm

I assume this is the new trail after the Happy River steps (highlighted in yellow) which avoids the side slope that was so dangerous to mushers in past years.

Jessie and Aliy (ringed in blue) are both resting just after the steps ("Let's not do the steps with a fresh team, eh?"), which I assume means they'll sweep on by Rainy Pass and on to Rohn and beyond.

I think the steps are what I ringed in red - Richie and Scott J (23 and 29) just went down them, while Aaron is about to.

Tracker12-30_03-05-18.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:41 pm

Finger Lake vids:

Andy Pohl remembers doing the stair steps over the beaver pond on his bicycle - says it was very pretty, but this year he did it in the dark.

Matts - all his dogs doing well - eating... all except one. Trail wasn't as soft as he feared.

Rick Casillo - passing other teams [off the side in the soft snow] wasn't an issue. Everyone was professional and patient. There were some good spots and his dogs wanted to run 10 mph, but he didn't want them to, since every quarter mile or so there'd be a trench that they'd fall in. So he's been travelling at 9 mph.

Martin - has an instant tent - his "napping house" - a bright yellow insta-tent. He says now he's old and in the back of the back pf the pack it's harder - there's no room at the checkpoints - laughs - so an old man has to bring his own tent.

martin-tent.JPG

Aaron
- his team are "building" - he didn't expect them to be this strong this early. He kept trying to stop and pulled down three trees trying to set his hook. He's trying to get them to settle down a bit more. There's a lot of youth and gung-ho attitude in his team.

Charlie - slow and punchy - dogs not used to it. Keep an eye on wrists and shoulders. Smaller dogs fall in holes.

Anna - said a spectator yelled at her "You're winning!". She retorted that it was because she drew #4. Said it was funny. They had a nice night camping on the far side of Skwentna.
elsietee

Postby fladogfan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:49 am

I like the instant tent idea!
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk