Rainy Pass-Rohn-Nikolai

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Rainy Pass-Rohn-Nikolai

Postby elsietee » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:39 pm

Bruce Lee wasn't able to get into RP as usual, with the weather coming in, so they are in Nikolai. It's warming up. About 20 miles out of Rohn they started hitting soft snow. The trail between Nik and McGrath. Because of the weather, even though they have ppl in Rohn, they won't be able to get the footage out, but will have live footage of mushers in Nik.

Rainy Pass vids:

Most people in sweaters. Joar eating his meal bare-handed.

Best footage by far - Joar is packing snow hooks into the back of his caboose.. zips up the bag and pats the flap down - and the dogs shoot off - with Joar in hot pursuit, scrambling to jump and climb on the caboose to get to the sled in front. Pete K next door sprints in from the side to jump on the sled and get the hook out.

Joars-escape-team.JPG

Joars-escape-team2.JPG

Joars-escape-team3.JPG

Joars-escape-team4.JPG

Joars-escape-team5.JPG

Pete Kaiser - happy to have reached RP right around noon just before the heat set in. He said his dogs were good at going into a low gear so as to not overheat themselves pulling. He said it doesn't really matter, since in a day or two his schedule will have him running in the afternoon regardless.

Ray - they ran us up over some steep hills to avoid that glacier - in a few years that'll be a really good trail for the future. It's a long run from Skwentna to here, and sometimes that trail gets torn up, so it's nice being in the front.

Linwood's team are barking and screaming to go every time he stops to snack - they have exceeded his expectations. He's happy that they can lie around in the sun and heal up.

Wade - says his dogs are going slow because they're not used to this warmer weather. Wade himself is sore - hasn't been this sore before. It's going to be a long race. Hurt his back a few weeks back. Got some work done on it, and some massage, and then it felt pretty good, but his starter went out at the Ceremonial start, so by the time he'd changed that, he was right back to where he'd been before - his lower back and hip is out. Once you bend over, it takes you about ten minutes to stand upright again. It doesn't hurt too bad to bootie - but then you have to get upright again. <laughs>

Jessie Holmes - wanted to get to the front so he could bank some big rest before his 24. Says he's staying when he arrives (but he actually went through and camped about a mile out).

Hugh - joshing with Karen R at the check-in "I was just talking about you the other day". Karen: "Yeah, nothing but good things I hope?". Hugh "yeah, it was 'whatever happened to that lady... the siberian lady'...". Laughs.

Nic - had to throw out two hooks to get his dogs stopped upon arrival.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:15 am

Jessie Royer going for the minimalist approach - just a single, non-sit-down sled...

JessieRoyer-RP.JPG

Chilkat looked pretty hot in RP:

Chilkat.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby Heidi » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:15 am

Wow that was crazy! And a close call. Lucky Pete was there to help.

Thanks for the shots, Elsietee.
Heidi

Postby frizzell66 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:57 am

Dropping dogs now is definitely what needs to be done with the air being warm and the trail being punchy - a lot more dogs coming down with ailments much earlier in the race. The Fairbanks start and northern route skipping this early Alaskan range definitely made it a different race with a lot more mushers able to take full or almost full teams farther down the trail.

Definitely back to the Iditarod I remember from 10+ years ago!

John
frizzell66

Postby Moose » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:42 am

Great series of pics, Elsie. Thanks. Routines and plans are starting shake out and firm up. A wheat/chaff part of the race. Very cool to see two Redingtons running in the front pack.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby mira » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:45 am

It will be really interesting to see what happens further on. Warm, softer trails, the teams build for speed might get some trouble.

Big parade heading for Nikolai, lead by Ryan, 25 miles to go.
mira

Postby flowerpower » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:22 am

Thanks for the updates all. I didn't bother with Insider this year since I'm mostly too busy to watch any of it anyway, so I really appreciate everyone's little snippets! :D
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby fladogfan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:47 am

Yes elsie thanks from here also, loved seeing the pics of catching the sled.
Good for Jessie!
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Moose » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:56 am

I haven't subscribed for several years--mostly because of dissatisfaction with the ITC. It seemed they took the fun out of the race for me. But now I'm wondering if my own little protest itself has taken the fun out of it. Standing on the sidelines watching isn't near as fun as jumping into the middle. It just may be time to jump back in. 8-)
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby libby the lab » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:48 am

Moose- I jumped in last night. As many issues as I have with ITC I want the race to continue for the mushers sake and their livelihoods! Spent most of last night catching up on videos now watching Nikolai checkpoint live!
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk