Scratches 2018

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Scratches 2018

Postby Eggs » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:24 am

From ITC FB:
Rob Cooke scratched at Kaltag checkpoint.–– Iditarod musher Rob Cooke (bib #10) of Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada, scratched at 8 p.m. this evening at the Kaltag checkpoint. Cooke had left the Kaltag checkpoint just before 1 p.m. on Tuesday, March 13, overnighted at the Tripod Flats cabin and then decided, in the best interest of his race team, to scratch. Cooke did activate his tracking device for a non-emergency welfare check. Local Kaltag community members assisted Cooke with returning to Kaltag, and both he and his race team are back in Kaltag resting comfortably. Cooke had 12 dogs in harness at the time he made the decision to scratch.

https://d3r6t1k4mqz5i.cloudfront.net/wp ... pdf?x14076
Eggs

Postby Moose » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:47 am

I love this guy and his beautiful team. Wishing them all well.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby tanglefoot » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:36 am

DANG!!!!

louise will not be happy rob is home early hahaha, joking aside, rob is a hell of a good dog person and a dear friend so full cudos for doing as well as he did knowing how sick he was himself. one tough guy!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Eggs » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:40 pm

Dropped dog dies at Koyuk checkpoint

The first dog death of the Iditarod was announced Thursday after officials say one musher's teammate died on the race to Nome.

At approximately 12:15 a.m., veteran musher Katherine Keith (bib #51) lost her teammate "Blondie", a 5-year-old male, at the Koyuk checkpoint.

Keith dropped Blondie off at the checkpoint earlier in the day on Wednesday. The dog was being treated by a veterinarian for signs of pneumonia.

A gross necropsy will be conducted by a board-certified veterinary pathologist.

Keith is currently en route to the Safety checkpoint.
http://www.ktva.com/story/37596792/idit ... -race-blog

ITC: https://d3r6t1k4mqz5i.cloudfront.net/wp ... pdf?x14076
Eggs

Postby fladogfan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:58 pm

Oh poor Katherine :cry:
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Eggs » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:45 pm

Too many of these.
Alan Eischens scratches at Koyuk checkpoint – Iditarod musher Alan Eischens (bib #53) of Wasilla, Alaska, scratched at 11:22 a.m. this morning at the Koyuk checkpoint.Due to an injury sustained to his arm, Eischens made the decision to scratch based on his ability to care for his race team, which is his No. 1 priority. Eischens had 14 dogs in harness at the time he made the decision to scratch.

Double E Kennel 1 hr ·
Just wanted to update everyone … we have had to pull out if the Iditatod with sad hearts. Alan had a bad crash in a ice berg during a whiteout and broke his hand, along with a runner on the sled. He is currently in Koyuk and will be flying to Nome in the next day or so. We are SO thankful and grateful for everyone support, love, prayers and words of encouragement this year. We will definitely be back next year better and stronger.
https://www.facebook.com/doubleekennels ... 7479778752
Last edited by Eggs on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eggs

Postby fladogfan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:52 pm

So many humans hurt or sick this year :(
fladogfan

Postby Eggs » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:02 pm

Another :cry:
Canadian musher Fressineau scratches at Shaktoolik
Marcelle Fressineau, of Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, scratched Thursday afternoon around 2 at the Shaktoolik checkpoint.

Fressineau had departed for Koyuk but turned around after deciding it was in the best interest of her team. She had 12 dogs in harness when she made the decision to scratch.
Eggs

Postby fladogfan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:56 pm

Wasn't it Marcelle who brandished an axe at a buffalo or some sort of large animal?
fladogfan

Postby fladogfan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:10 pm

Found this on face book about Rob.

Janet Thomas shared Shaytaan Siberian Huskies Sled Dog Team's post.

Shaytaan Siberian Huskies Sled Dog Team
9 hrs

Hi everyone, just to let you all know Rob and the dogs are all fine. I spoke to him yesterday and he was tired and disappointed and upset that he was letting people down, but he's OK and most importantly the dogs are all good too! At the moment he is in Kaltag waiting to be flown out, hopefully this morning. Fram and Whizz are in Anchorage being expertly looked after by Hugh and Judy. They will soon join Skits and Lucy in Willow where Lindsey and Su have done a great job of looking after them there. Thank you all for your help and support!

Louise
fladogfan

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk