Scratches 2018

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Scratches 2018

Postby Eggs » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:02 pm

Wade Marrs scratched in Koyuk (he has pneumonia).
https://d3r6t1k4mqz5i.cloudfront.net/wp ... pdf?x14076
Eggs

Postby Moose » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:41 pm

Pneumonia? Not good. I hope he's back to 100% soon.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:46 pm

Eggs wrote:Wade Marrs scratched in Koyuk (he has pneumonia).

Sigh. That's too bad. But probably a good decision for one who's looking to the future (of his team, not just his own health).

It has struck me listening to so many of these mushers how patient they are - planning something that is years in the making. Long-distance mushing, if you're serious about it, is an exercise in infinite, long-term patience.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby JeanieB » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:05 pm

And now Wade. I thought he would have to, but sad. Pneumonia, bad back, and Dr. Idiot to deal with at the start, and still he kept focused until it was unsafe to go on.
"When women reach a certain age, they begin to collect dogs. This is known as "Many - Paws""
JeanieB

Postby Eggs » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:17 pm

Allen Moore scratches at Kaltag checkpoint. (Allen had been sick earlier in the race.)
Nome, Alaska –– Veteran Iditarod musher Allen Moore (bib #26) of Two Rivers, Alaska, scratched at 3:30 p.m. today at the Kaltag checkpoint. Moore made the decision to scratch due to personal health reasons. Moore had 13 dogs in harness at the time he made the decision to scratch.
March 13, 2018 by SPK Crew

We have received word that Allen has decided to scratch from the race.

Allen made the decision to scratch due to his own health and his ability to care for the team going forward. The infection he was battling back in Grayling flared up again during his run up the river and once in Kaltag he realised that he needed further medical treatment.

We have spoken to him and although he is okay, sadly this is where his 2018 Iditarod journey ends.

Aliy will be advised once she gets to Elim.

The dogs are great, he has been able to care for them all the way up the river and in Kaltag. We are awaiting notification about where they will be flown, either up here to Nome or back to Anchorage.

Please give us some time to figure out what comes next. We will advise when we can.

Thanks for your support.
Eggs

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:25 pm

Again - that's too bad. You know he has to be really sick to scratch. Not the race either he or Aliy was hoping for. Thank goodness for his YQ win to put salve on the wound.

But you also think about how horrendous it is to have to do anything remotely strenuous when you're feeling crappy, let alone never getting to stop for days.

I was wondering who the other musher was - mentioned by Ryan R - who's team also got the diesel-tainted water?
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:34 pm

Eggs wrote:March 13, 2018
Tom Schonberger scratches between Grayling and Eagle Island checkpoints

Lookit! They must have gone to fetch his team with a snow machine and they're now zipping back towards "civilisation". The fastest he's gone all race!

Tom_Schonberger_scratch.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elsietee

Postby Eggs » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:44 pm

elsietee wrote:Lookit! They must have gone to fetch his team with a snow machine and they're now zipping back towards "civilisation". The fastest he's gone all race!
:) Glad they've got him. Poor guy - had a beautiful looking team.

Yes, I had high hopes for Aliy with that team Allen ran in YQ. Can't imagine what it's like to be sick during the race. Seems like a lot of mushers got sick this year - or is my memory really bad?

I missed the tainted water. Do tell.
Eggs

Postby flowerpower » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:55 pm

It's on page 3 on this thread. :D
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby Eggs » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:31 pm

Duh... Thanks FP! That one went right by me. What nasty thing to have happen. Lots of teams in McGrath at that time.
Edit. Why I said McGrath is beyond. I just now realized I'd done that. Holes in head.
Last edited by Eggs on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eggs

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk