Scratches 2018

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Scratches 2018

Postby fladogfan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:25 pm

Zoya :( :(
A-Fib is nothing to mess around with, I'm sorry her race is over and hope with good medical care she goes on to enjoy her family and dogs as much as she wants.

Dee Dee,
ITC has put out their standard for health reasons and the good of the dogs. I am so sad for her. :cry: :cry:

Both of these ladies trying for one last Iditarod, to have them shut down so early, life isn't fair sometimes.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Moose » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:29 pm

So very disappointed for DeeDee. I would love to see her come back next year for her "official" retirement, but it sounds like she's ready to turn her attention to other interesting projects. I wish her the very best of what life has to offer.

Zoya's statement makes it sound like this heart issue is a new development, but I read somewhere a statement from John that she had been taking medication but had stopped it five months ago and didn't think to take it with her. He was going to have a prescription filled and get it to her along the trail. Regardless, I wish her well, too.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:20 pm

Dee Dee in Rainy Pass:

Rainy Pass wasn't where I thought I'd hit that wall. But I knew I was struggling this year, which is why I made the decision.

Its timing is sooner rather than later. I feel really relieved. I struggled with it when I woke up and there was a snow storm, and I'd have to break trail, ...and break trail for quite a while... and even if I don't break trail, the trail isn't going to be easy to navigate....

You know, I got to tell you, it's me, and what's wrong with me. "Me" doesn't feel like she can do a good job for them. And that makes my decision easy. Because they are the most precious thing. They're the only thing I've had longer than two years except my husband. They're just precious. And if I think that somewhere along the line I'm asking something from them that I don't want to ask - perhaps they can even do, but I don't want to ask - that's not going to make me feel good about it. *This* makes me feel good about [my decision].

And the other thing - I've been out here long enough to know that "pushing the button" and needing a rescue - how many people put their own safety on hold, and how much equipment is put at risk... It's one thing when you can't predict that that could happen. But when you know - like I know - that I'm compromised, and I go out there ....it seems a little narcissistic to me, and I'm just not willing to take a chance that I [might] get in trouble on these big runs.

That's a "dog care" - but also a "respect for people on the trail" - decision.

It's retirement a few check points too soon. <said with a smile>.

Edited to add, (thanks for the link, Eggs) KTVA posted the same video on their blog:
http://www.ktva.com/story/37596792/idit ... -race-blog
Last edited by elsietee on Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby JeanieB » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:26 pm

DeeDee is one tough, classy woman. I will always admire her.
"When women reach a certain age, they begin to collect dogs. This is known as "Many - Paws""
JeanieB

Postby fladogfan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:32 pm

^^^^^^^^^what JeanieB said^^^^^^^^^
fladogfan

Postby Eggs » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:05 pm

KTVA 11 News · 2 hrs (video)
DeeDee explains why she scratched.
https://www.facebook.com/ktva11/videos/ ... 294502511/
Eggs

Postby frizzell66 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:17 pm

Anyway to bury PETA and all the newspapers and bloggers covering their antics with this video over and over and over again?!?

So sorry to see you go, Dee-Dee, but thanks for the best going out message for all of us!

John
frizzell66

Postby fladogfan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:40 pm

Thumbs up frizz
fladogfan

Postby Moose » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:07 pm

"It's retirement a few checkpoints too soon". Ya gotta love this petite woman who in reality is a ball of fire. Thanks, DeeDee, for letting us follow along on your Iditarod adventures--and some personal moments as well. You own the hearts and the admiration of so many Iditarod fans. Mine among them. <3
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby tanglefoot » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:49 pm

Huge huge huge reslect for Dee Dee!

One of my heroines and fav mushers of all time. She is one hell of a dog deiver and wonderful himan being.

So sad she had to scratch but as always she’s out others first.

Now, she did say she wants to race dryland, canicross and rig sprint teams... wonder if we should either see her at a race one day or invite her over for one! :) xx
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk