Nikolai - McGrath - Takotna - Ophir - Iditarod

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Nikolai - McGrath - Takotna - Ophir - Iditarod

Postby mira » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:33 pm

I agree, that is a strange party. Where did Tom come from? H, Martin, Ketil, Jeff...
mira

Postby elsietee » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:43 pm

Aaron B in McGrath:
I had originally planned to go from Bear Creek Camp to Ophir - stop half-way to McGrath and go on to Ophir. But once I got out there on that trail between Nikolai and McGrath, it was a slog - bottomless snow, deep snow, slow going, and a work out. And I was towards the front group of teams, so I felt, rather than stop on the trail and get passed by 20 teams and then continuing to slog into McGrath all the way to Ophir, I'd just push into McGrath and evaluate there.

But after that long push coming from Bear Creek, I decided it would be smartest to stay here [McGrath] with the time of day it was, to set me up for my 24 at the right time of day.

With the weather, the dogs kind of dictate what's going to be best for the dogs and best for me. They came in here really strong, feeling really good - there's 15 of them - they're eating and drinking, they're happy, and I think it was a very smart decision.

<there was a shot of his dogs eating at the checkpoint, and the one on the end looked a little lean, so stopping for 24 hours to gets some good calories into them will be good. His team is young and enthusiastic and he's had a hard time slowing them down>
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:47 pm

I think rookie Jessie Holmes will blow through Ophir and go on to ID (or at least that was his plan). He rested 7 hours in Nikolai, and then took a 2+ hour break somewhere on the trail between Tak and Ophir.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:56 pm

Looking at his run times, I'd expect Lars to also blow through Ophir. He hasn't been on trail long enough to warrant stopping there.

It'll be interesting to see how fast Jessie and Lars go on that trail to ID.
elsietee

Postby braider » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:18 pm

The Berringtons seem to be running quite a different and better race this year ...and not together. Anna went through Takotna, so Ophir? or Iditarod?
braider

Location: Bemidji, Minnesota - the first city on the Mississippi River

Postby elsietee » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:31 pm

Aliy in Takotna:

Q: Any challenges out there? <said with a chuckle>

Aliy: <laughs and deadpans back> no, none...

Q: What were they?

A: There were ...some water here and there... some slowish trail... and... lazy Aliy... and ... <tries to count something as she's working on dog harnesses>...

Q: And math...?

A: And ... not functioning completely real well right now.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:31 pm

Joar going through Takotna:

[I thought this was going to be a "throw away" video - just Joar going through the check point, but it's actually *really* interesting, since he's deciding what to do, and this moment may be the make or break of his race.

Judging from this exchange, Joar knows full well the risk he's taking, but apparently opts to do it anyway - he may just be gambling and feels he has nothing to lose]

Karen Ramstead checking mushers into Takotna. Joar arrives and says he's going through. She asks if he wants his bags, he says yes. She asks All of them? No, says Joar, just #1 (organization - he only has what he needs to grab in #1 bag, rather than all over the place and having to rummage through several bags).

Bruce asks Joar "where are you going?"

"Nome", says Joar. <laughs>

B: "you're the most secretive guy on the trail..."

J: "No..."

B: "D'you think ID's going to be too far?"

J: "I think it's going to be a very slow trip over there, ... my team is doing good, but it might take more juice out of them than I want to do. But it's never bad to take a little extra rest when it's soft like this." [not sure what he's referring to, since he doesn't stop to rest. Maybe he was considering taking a break?]...

B: "This road will be good, but when it splits - north/south trail - that's where it gets soft.."

J: <Looking at something intently... his team, I think, assessing them?> Says something quick and high in Norwegian... What? Mira? Esk? What does he say???

B: "You stayed a long time in McGrath, though..."

J: "I stayed there with the plan to go to ID... I still might decide on it... who knows...

B: "You had the fastest time going over here..." [isn't that 'leading the witness'? Is B allowed to say that?]

J: "Yuh? <nods> <looking pensive>

He still seems undecided, but asks the checker if he'll be taking charge of Joar's bags, and at the affirmative, he smoothly goes on down the trail.
elsietee

Postby Moose » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:44 pm

Sure hope this works for him.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Moose » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:44 pm

Sure hope this works for him.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Eggs » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:50 pm

elsietee wrote:B: "You had the fastest time going over here..."

J: "Yuh? <nods> <looking pensive>
Maybe that pensive was deciding to GO based on how his team looks - as he realizes that fast run didn't curb them.
Eggs

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk