Nikolai - McGrath - Takotna - Ophir - Iditarod

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Nikolai - McGrath - Takotna - Ophir - Iditarod

Postby mira » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:34 am

Mitch and Nicolas left Ophir, one minute apart, almost six hours after Joar arrived in Iditarod. Joars used 15.5 hour to Iditarod, with three hour rest on the way (and a small detour in the start).

Joar rested in McGrath and then went to Iditarod with one rest on trail. Nicolas took 24h in McGrath, Mitch in Takotna. Looks like it's a bit less wind and no precipitation right now (https://www.windy.com/62.544/-158.095?61.960,-158.115,7), but it will be more wind and snow in the evening/night.

Joar must rest for 25 hour and 10 minutes, if we assume a traveling time for Mitch of 15 hours, he will arrive in Iditarod 4.5 hours before Joar can depart. Mitch will also need to rest for at least three hours (haven't checked his schedule) so perhaps one hour ahead? I wonder what Nicolas will do.. rest on trail between Ophir and Iditarod and then once more between Iditaros and Shageluk? Aliy usually do that for Takotna-Ruby but I think she said she would not do it like that this year (it's so long since they last run southern route so I don't remember what they have used to do :oops: )

Lars Monsen has 11 miles to go to Iditarod, Larry is moving but Jeff is resting. Nicolas and Mitch are doing around 8mph, same as Joar in those areas.
mira

Postby mira » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:37 am

Joar said something about "it started to drift a bit". Yes, sure.. this certainly look like a bit more than just "a bit" ;) On the video you can really hear the wind blowing.

joar_windy_1.png

joar_windy.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mira

Postby txbennett » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:55 am

With the teams running ahead of her the trail should be set up nicely for Aliy to plan two long runs from Takotna to the Yukon, with a camp out before Iditarod, then the Iditarod Check Point being just a pass through vet check and pack up of supplies for a camp out on the next run to the Yukon. This would fit with her previous strategy and runs out of Takotna. Allen set this team up for two long (10 hour) runs out of Dawson in the Yukon Quest -- breaking trail the whole way. This is typically when Aliy makes her move to or toward the front.
txbennett

Postby Di* » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:26 am

Joar said something about "it started to drift a bit".

:lol: :D Typical Norwegian understatement, love it!!! Go Joar!!!
Dogs...What they lack in manners, they make up for in Sincerity!
Di*

Postby Moose » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:30 am

Just watched that video, Mira. Wow. The wind is blowing sideways, into the whole length of the team, but they just keep moving forward--not breaking any speed records, but steady, steady forward. Great dogs. Joar is working hard as well. I hope this chance he took works out for him.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby mira » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:36 am

Yes, I really liked the video, the team look almost unaffected, just another walk in the park. Gotta love those dogs (and the mushers) :D
mira

Postby Luna » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:39 am

mira wrote:I don't think he ever answered the question if he was satisfied with his decision.. and the part about the trail. well.. he kind of answered that..

Even thou he didn't say it out loud, it was pretty clear to me that he wasn't happy with his decision.
Luna

Postby Moose » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:54 am

His little smile speaks volumes. I love the comment where he said the scenery is beautiful, even in slow motion (or something like that). What a slog for the team, but they did it! Whoot, whoot!
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby mira » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:57 am

I think it's great to be going that long, being that tired (he must have been) and then still commenting on how beautiful the mountains and scenery is in slow motion :D

Actually, my bad, I looked at Joars video once more, he actually says "started to drift quite a bit".. I think we can agree on that :D (I missed that tiny word.. oh well).

Michelle Phillips said about the trail to Iditarod that she hoped it will settle before she comes, but there is always the danger of the snow be just sugar. Lars is almost in Iditarod (4 miles to go), I hope we gets an interview of how he experienced the trail. I think he has had a tougher travel than Joar.

Currently Nicolas and Mitch are traveling a bit slow but it looks like uphill..
mira

Postby mira » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:18 am

Lars is basically into Iditarod.

Jessie Royer is in Ophir, I expect the next update she is through. Aliy is five miles behind.

It seems to me that Larry is struggling a bit. Jeff has rested for more than four hours now. Mitch, Nikolas, Aaron and Ray are on trail Ophir-Iditarod. Jessie is a couple of miles behind Ray.
mira

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk