Yukon to Kaltag (Shageluk - Kaltag)

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Yukon to Kaltag (Shageluk - Kaltag)

Postby mira » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:54 pm

Nicolas, Mitch and Joar are all on their way to Shageluk when we can start thinking about 8 hours rest...
mira

Re: Yukon to Kaltag (Shageluk - Kaltag)

Postby mira » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:21 am

Shageluk has an airport! That's nice, because then we can look at the weather, Shageluks airport identificator (ICAO) is PAHX

For those not very familiar with aviation weather, TAF is forecast, METAR is observation. All airports must issue METAR to be open.

http://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/alaska.php?icao=PAHX

18minutes ago:
Wind 7 mph from the North
Temperature 19°F
Humidity 86%
Pressure 29.09 in. Hg
Visibility: 10 miles
Broken clouds at a height of 11000 ft

Other airports along this part of the trail:
http://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/alaska.php?icao=PANV (Anvik)
http://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/alaska.php?icao=PAKV (Kaltag)
mira

Postby mira » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:39 am

16 mushers have left Iditarod, Nicolas has arrived in Shageluk, Mitch is 6 miles. Nicolas has gone faster than Mitch on this leg, it certainly looks like Nicolas has a higher speed in the team. I only wonder if it's a bit too early.

Nicolas rested 4:34 in Iditarod and used 12:15. Mitch used 13:05 and rested 4:29. Nicolas left 44 minutes in front of Mitch, and used 7 hours. Mitch has at the moment used 6:45, but he has still 4-5 miles to go, so I guess he will be 20-30 minutes slower on this leg than Nicolas.

I'm not sure, but I think Joar is going slower than the two other teams. But I won't be surprised if he take a short rest on trail and then heads for Grayling.

Grayling - Eagle Island is 62 miles, and is 60 miles from Eagle Island to Kaltag.

There is also this big party which departed Iditarod at midnight:
Richie Diehl left at 23:42, then Jessie Royer (23:45), Ray (00:04), Aaron (00:04), Wade (00:07), Linwood (00:09), Aliy (00:20**), Hugh (00:34)

(Aliy is missing on the stat, but replay of GPS tracker shows her leaving about 00:20, in front of Hugh).
mira

Postby Alphashe » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:48 am

I admit I didn't check from Joar's take off, but he last hours the disance between he and Mitch has been 14 miles steady. Fingers crossed.
Alphashe

Postby mira » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:49 am

...and Nicolas stayed for 10 minutes in Shageluk. Heading for 8h Yukon rest in Anvik?
mira

Postby Alphashe » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:54 am

I guess that crazy guy will hold "grandpa" Seavey on his toes up Yukon ;-) Let the show begin!
Alphashe

Postby mira » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:09 am

Alphashe wrote:I admit I didn't check from Joar's take off, but he last hours the disance between he and Mitch has been 14 miles steady. Fingers crossed.

Finger's crossed indeed. I did check the video, it looks like they had problems keeping them back.. It looked like a good take-off :D
Joar dropped a dog in Iditarod, he had one in the sled arriving so I guess it's the same dog. Haven't seen anything about how long he had the dog in the sled. It's only Kelly Maixner, Ray and perhaps Aliy (she is still missing in the stats) that has 15 dogs, the others has less.

Mitch has arrived in Shageluk now. I wonder what he is thinking when Nicolas isn't there :o
..and Joar has 14 miles to go to Shageluk.
mira

Postby Alphashe » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:31 am

Good for him it was nice little Fenix and not The Russian in the sled.

I just hope Joar is finding his own pace - it' may not be a good idea hunting Mitch directly from the 24. Nice and steady is the mantra from the bitches back home. And then we'll see in Shaktoolik. Everything may happen. Just ask 2014 ;-)
Alphashe

Postby mira » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:54 am

Indeed..

I think Joar is able to not start chasing.. Joar is in Shageluk, two hours behind Mitch, they have been going at same pace.

But look at Nicolas, he declared 8 but went through, he have had 8 and 9 mph on the tracker, currently down to 7. He has run without resting for 10 hours (if I'm not confusing myself), he is just a couple of miles from Anvik, I guess he declares and take the 8h there.
mira

Postby Moose » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:11 am

It's good to see someone giving Mitch a run for his money. With apologies to his fans, but to my mind, Mitch can be a bit cocky at times. Everyone needs an occasional humbling experience. 8-)
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Next

Return to Mushing Talk