Yukon to Kaltag (Shageluk - Kaltag)

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Yukon to Kaltag (Shageluk - Kaltag)

Postby txbennett » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:20 am

The Eagle Island drop bags were dropped in Greyling so the teams will have all the supplies they need, but they will have to carry the supplies and straw for a campout before Kaltag, probably at Eagle Island.

This might work slightly in the favor of Quest teams, who just did some long runs carrying supplies and camping out on the Yukon a few weeks ago. Aliy/Allen, Michelle/Ed, Matt Hall, Cody/Paige, Ketil/Vebjorn. Some of these teams MAY be able to move up in the standings -- but the big-three will still be the big-three.
txbennett

Postby fladogfan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:00 am

I was thinking of the teams who have changed to smaller sleds, will they be able to carry needed supplies?
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby mira » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:52 am

fladogfan wrote:I was thinking of the teams who have changed to smaller sleds, will they be able to carry needed supplies?

I think they should be. They must have space for hauling a dog or two if anything happens.

I said it before, I want the possibility to add weather charts to the trackers!
mira

Postby fladogfan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:27 pm

[quote="mira]I said it before, I want the possibility to add weather charts to the trackers![/quote]

I like that idea.
fladogfan

Postby Eggs » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:19 pm

Saw this earlier today on Joar's FB:
Joar is now running with 13 dogs on the team. Missy and Flamenco stayed behind in Grayling. The veterinarians could not identify any issues on either of them but that they were not stretching fully and maybe were a bit sore. Joar did not want to take any chances — especially as he now had to carry so much weight in food on the sled with no checkpoint in Eagle Island — that he decided to rather leave them behind than risk having to carry even one of them in the sled. This will be the first time in 3 years that Missy is not taking Joar across the finish line in Nome! She is simply a phenomenal performer. It has been Missy that has been mastering finding a trail in blown-over conditions these last many days, not least in the blizzard that Joar & Co were in on the way to the Iditarod checkpoint. Heading back out into the wind on the Yukon River from Grayling, Joar was very worried leaving her behind. Her two children: Bia and Kusko are still on the team! Flamenco has not been with Joar for long, but boy is he a wonderful guy. Besides being beyond sweet and affectionate, he is a fireball; it was Flamenco that led for much of the way in the Kuskokwim 300 race where Joar & Co. took 2nd earlier this year! Both Missy and Flamenco will be missed on the trail ~ but time now for them to go home to some good loving.
Eggs

Postby Moose » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:40 pm

:cry:
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Eggs » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:52 pm

Moose wrote: :cry:
Me too. Hopefully some new leaders will rise to the occasion. Maybe they're being born right now - hot on Mitch's tail.
Eggs

Postby emwcee » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:58 pm

I believe Joar has passed Mitch.
emwcee

Postby fladogfan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:16 pm

Go Joar Go
:D :D :D :D :D
fladogfan