UNK TO SHAK to Koyuk

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: UNK TO SHAK to Koyuk

Postby elsietee » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:14 pm

Re-ran the tracker:

Nic leaves spit: 6:38 am
Joar leaves spit: 7:01 am

= Joar 23 minutes behind

Joar at the place Nic rejoins trail: 8:46 am
Nic at the place Nic rejoins trail: 9:38 am

= Nic 56 minutes behind

Total time lost: 1 hour 27 mins

Like I say, from a karma point of view, this pays back Joar's ID decision. If his team was without merit - i.e. was just profiting from another musher's misfortune - that would be one thing. But Joar isn't having that "magic carpet" ride - he's down on leaders and made a bad choice to continue to ID and ended up breaking trail. But the fact that he was still within 23 mins of Nic prior to this mistake tells me that he has a worthy team and deserves any good karma coming his way.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby emwcee » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:19 pm

Yeah, it's not really the way you want to win. Nic was having such a good run . . .

I just hope one of the two of them wins. I really don't want to see another Seavey win this year - at least not in the Iditarod, LOL. The Finnsmarkslopet would be fine.
emwcee

Postby mira » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:25 pm

Whoever wins, deserves it..

Current condition I'm Koyuk, wind 16 mph, gusting to 26 mph from North. Visibility, 5 miles. Looked at the aviation cameras, the visibility is good enough, light snow.
mira

Postby Eggs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:29 pm

Don't know about the karma side, but I was feeling pretty bad for Joar hitting that crap on the way to Iditarod, then the weather clearing somewhat for teams behind him. And then I felt bad that he had to drop Missy.
So yeah - despite all that he (as you point out elsie) is where he is and that means a good team effort.
I like Nic and it's hard to see someone get off trail like that, but he did - and he's not the first to have that happen.

I'm happy to see these two teams up front and I hope they stay there.
Eggs

Postby Eggs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:32 pm

Was reading that Berkowitz article:
The Norton Sound Shakeup is not only affecting the top three. Word has trickled back from Shaktoolik and they are experiencing a ground blizzard, with whiteout conditions and 40 mph gusts.

Then read further:)
Reports are that the wind should be dying down around noon Monday.
Eggs

Postby elsietee » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:37 pm

Eggs wrote:Was reading that Berkowitz article:
The Norton Sound Shakeup is not only affecting the top three. Word has trickled back from Shaktoolik and they are experiencing a ground blizzard, with whiteout conditions and 40 mph gusts.

Then read further:)
Reports are that the wind should be dying down around noon Monday.

It looks like Pete and Ray managed to slip out before being caught in that - they are coming up on the spit and travelling neck and neck at 7+ mph.

Pete's team were AMAZING coming through Unk. Completely screaming their heads off and wanting to go. I'm hoping he's finally showing his abilities in this race - in the past he has just never quite gotten it right.

And I'm thrilled that Ray with Paul G's dogs are doing so well - that's got to be such a lift for Paul and has to help him positively.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:40 pm

I don't know if the livecam is available to non-insiders?

If not, this is the view there right now - with Joar about 3 miles out - it's snowing lightly, the wind is gusting the drop bags in the foreground, the sun is watered out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elsietee

Postby tanglefoot » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:53 pm

damn, nick lost the trail, joar over took, hopefully nicks speed will show and he will real joar back in. i so hope that nick wins this after his fantastic runs so far in this race
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Eggs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:54 pm

No - live cam is not available to public. Seems like it was last year... without the chat feed option? Can't recall.

https://www.ranablad.no/iditarod/sport/ ... -42-363465
Google translate has the headline reading: Now cook it: Ulsom is in the mood after the manager drove incorrectly :lol:
Eggs

Postby arcticcircle » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:05 pm

Screenshot_2018-03-12-14-01-56.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
arcticcircle

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk