RRRrrrJjjjoooaaar!

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

RRRrrrJjjjoooaaar!

Postby Frozen Chosen » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:46 am

RRRrrrJjjjoooaaaR!

What a run this year for this dude. I've had him on my top 10 for a long time, and was hoping he would outdo the Seaveys a year or two ago...Well, this year I got his placement right, with Nic as my #4 and Mitch in third. What else do we have to say about the latest of the Norwegian greats in mushing?

Initially, I was hoping Nic would bounce back, but losing that trail in the mini-Bering sea storm out on the ice took alot out of him and his team. Nic was having such a fine run for a long time. But, the Norwegian youngster kept within range, maybe not so much hoping for something like this as I think Ulsom is a realist in thinking, but as we can see a great opportunist when necessary...

Like the Robert Sorlie of yesteryear, Joar is making this happen the Norwegian way, albeit with a bit more speed.
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Re: RRRrrrJjjjoooaaar!

Postby Alphashe » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:59 am

Haha - I guess it's really smart to have Joar on your TTP. Since he has never finished out of top 7 ;-)
Alphashe

Postby Eggs » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:48 am

Nice little video of Joar in White Mt.: https://www.facebook.com/JoarRacingSled ... 344060605/
Joar Leifseth Ulsom · 45 mins ·
Joar & Co. in White Mountain! Joar shared his happy thoughts - and yes, it is also a happy Norwegian Iditarod Champion, Robert Sørlie (2003,2005) talking in the background! Now after a big meal, the dogs are under their wool blankets sleeping; and so is Joar!
Eggs

Postby Eggs » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:56 pm

WATCH: Iditarod Joar Leifseth Ulsom talks about his love for dogs
4:19 video interview with Joar in WM:
https://www.adn.com/outdoors-adventure/ ... -for-dogs/
Eggs

Postby Eggs » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:53 am

Said in chat I'd post this transcript from Dog Works Radio about Joar's visa status:
(Joar) He lives right here in Willow and I’ve had a chance to speak to him on occasion. And for folks that don’t know, he is here on - like an athlete’s visa, similar to an Olympic athlete who travels to another country to live - and I remember him telling me when we spoke that he is unable to work when he’s here. He’s not allowed to earn any type of living whatsoever and he’s been itching to start a company or have a job or something like that but he’s unable to really garner a paycheck while he’s here. Now of course he does have some really good support with his sponsors and things. But just imagine, he’s been up here for several years, like you said, the last 4 or 5 he’s been in the top ten in terms of finishing. Just imagine going 4 or 5 years and not having some type of stable paycheck and having all those expenses for Iditarod coming up every year and in particular as Iditarod approaches.

(around the 4 min. mark) https://www.facebook.com/dogworksradio/ ... 648908641/
Eggs

Postby Di* » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:11 am

I read his visa is good for 10 years I believe? Then I wonder what he will do? His earnings are channeled through the nonprofit(of which his partner is director of) that he helps with and they pay his race/dog expenses.
Dogs...What they lack in manners, they make up for in Sincerity!
Di*

Postby elsietee » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:39 pm

I remember an interview with the lady who seemed to be in charge of Racing Beringia at the start of it - she said something like they knew Joar was a nice guy and good for the organization, but they weren't expecting him to be quite that good when it came to competitive mushing - this was his first year. :)

What am ambassador he became! They certainly got their money's worth in terms of returns on their investment.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby fladogfan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:02 pm

I hope Joar keeps racing. How many years has he been in the states? Can't the visa be renewed, if he wants to stay.

And he IS Norwegian, that should help ;) :D
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Di* » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:00 pm

fladogfan wrote:I hope Joar keeps racing. How many years has he been in the states? Can't the visa be renewed, if he wants to stay.

And he IS Norwegian, that should help ;) :D

I am thinking he's been here since 2011? But I could be wrong...Totally agree Elsie :)
Dogs...What they lack in manners, they make up for in Sincerity!
Di*

Postby elsietee » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:27 pm

Joar and his team have raced throughout Beringia starting with the Yukon Quest in 2012.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Return to Mushing Talk