WM - Safety - Nome

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: WM - Safety - Nome

Postby elsietee » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:41 am

Kale said he will be reporting until 6 pm today - before he has to jump on a plane
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby Di* » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:07 am

Going to really miss his coverage on each team!!! Next best thing to being there I'd say & his commentary is so stellar!! He has really provided unprecedented coverage of the race. I think I will be donating to him via his Kale Casey Live page on FB! https://www.facebook.com/kalecaseylive/
Dogs...What they lack in manners, they make up for in Sincerity!
Di*

Postby JLJ » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:32 pm

I'm glad Allen got some YK recognition when greeting the team. Saw a photo on SP Kennel website of him hugging one of his four footed YK champs -- it looked as if it was hugging back as best it could.

I've wondered if Allen's bug may have been a leftover from that long session of -50 to -30 nights/days in YK. Possibly he doesn't know, himself, as he's the 'just keep going' type. Hope they get the bug squashed good now.
JLJ

Postby elsietee » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:37 pm

JLJ wrote:Saw a photo on SP Kennel website of him hugging one of his four footed YK champs -- it looked as if it was hugging back as best it could.

That was on Kale's footage - and it was cute. The dog was all "Yay! Dad's here too! Pick me, dad!"

You have to wonder how much abuse the human body can bounce back from, eh?

Kale also did a nice chat with Ketil Reitan (who came in hot on Matt Failor's heels - apparently they swapped leads 3-4 times in the trip in from WM - also fun to listen to).

Ketil, apparently, was the one who got Joar into this whole thing (Joar used to handle for him in Norway), as well as the blood-relationship of their dogs, which was interesting background stuff on Joar's dogs. Worth a listen.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby fladogfan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:26 pm

Thanks for that info Elsie, I'll have to find that. I had Ketil in my TTP just because of the good job his son did in the Quest.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Heidi » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:08 pm

DILLI!!! There you are!!! You've been missed. I was wondering where the brownies were this year! ;) Hope all is well with you.
Heidi

Postby fladogfan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:34 pm

Heidi wrote:

DILLI!!! There you are!!! You've been missed. I was wondering where the brownies were this year! ;) Hope all is well with you.

Too true dilli, We've missed your tasty treats and your input about the mushers and the race.
fladogfan

Postby fladogfan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:37 pm

BTW anyone with GPS can you tell me where Jeff is located. I know he is out of Safety, but how close is he?
fladogfan

Postby fladogfan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:40 pm

https://www.facebook.com/kalecaseylive/ ... 967263818/

He got in while I was looking around. Thanks to Kale! I'll be able to see rerun. :D :D :D
fladogfan

Postby fladogfan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:52 pm

Jeff is #24 into Nome leaving 32 teams still running.
It's not over till they are all off the trail. That's what I like about this type of racing. It's not just "oooo a winner", we cheer for all of them.
fladogfan

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk