WM - Safety - Nome

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: WM - Safety - Nome

Postby Eggs » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:30 pm

Yes, Misha just got to Safety.
Eggs

Postby fladogfan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:38 pm

Oh thank goodness. ITC still had her out of WM when I checked just a bit ago.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby elsietee » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:43 pm

Finishing up my work for the evening and listening to today's finisher videos.

Jeff Deeter had 8 dogs ALL THE WAY FROM ANVIK!? That's a long way to go with such a small team. Great job him.

"450 miles and they never hesitated to get off their straw". And they were still super-perky little guys in the chute.

He said "this year didn't go as planned". You think?

Peter Fleck "Awesome. It was an unbelievable privilege to be out here with these dogs".

Aww. Lev!

He was talking totally normally about the weather and whatnot... and then he dissolves into tears saying "It was a really good challenge for the dogs... and uh, this young team <chokes up> they rose up. Very proud of them <can hardly get the words out> ... very proud of my pups."

He said the blowhole was 70 mph winds and 10 below. Not "anybody's idea of run, really. That's why my face is all messed up ". <his face is rosy pink with blotches>.

"Yuh, I just watched these guys grow up on the trail. It was pretty awesome.".

Larry Daugherty:

"It was a hard year. It was my third year, but it felt like my first year".

"It's a huge testament to Jason and Jen [Campeau] and their training methods that I was able to just jump in there and take them".

Brett Bruggeman:

"I entered the race sick, and then my team got sick two days later, so we had to deal with that. But we persevered through it and made some real good friends along the way. It's a fight to get here, but we did it."

He came into the chute just after Monica.

Monica:

"It was good in general. We had a lot of weather - there was a lot of snow, so we didn't see the sun until today, I think. Saw some northern lights last night, that was fun. It was a little warm for the dogs a lot of the way, and really wet and snowy, so the trail was super-soft, so that was def. a challenge. And then going through the blowhole today was pretty insane - really windy. I don't know how fast - I said 100 mph, but it was probably at least 60 mph, without an exaggeration. You couldn't see the front of the team from the wind. The dogs did awesome. They struggled a little when it was hot, but when it started to get cooler, Blue Seal figured out he was on his way to Nome, and we just cruised. We weren't in this to be competitive, it's definitely a luxury, so we took lots of rest, and took as good care of the team as we could".

elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:46 pm

They put the vids out of order. Next was Jeff in 24th.

"It's bin an interesting race. Lots of snow, you've really got to train for this, and to train for this, you've got to find snow and a lot of us didn't find snow.

So the trip over from Shak I see from the stats I had one of the fastest times, but it seemed like one of the longest nights of our lives. Really a tough run. Always an adventure.

Regardless of snow or wind, I haven't been cold the whole way and I'll take that over anything".

He also talked about loaning his team to daughter Ellen to do the Kobuk 440 - listen to Kale's FB live for the long version.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:11 am

Andy Pohl and Kristy B

That was a lot of dogs in the chute - 10 each.

Andy:

"Q: How was the honeymoon?

A: Hah! We're waiting to get to the golden sands of the beaches in Nome.

Q: Was it fun to run with your wife?

A: Yes, I wouldn't do it with anyone else. I think the highs and the lows going through the whole process of running the trail - through the good weather, the bad weather, the sleep deprivation... best of all was travelling with my wife, Kristy Berington. "

Kristy:

Anna there to greet her - "Good job Kristy!"

K: "Andyand I have the same pace and do everything similar whether they're just small things that aren't easily compatible, but we knew going into it that we were just travelling and enjoying it, and using it as our honeymoon.

Q: And a good way to see if it's going to work? <laughs>

K: Oh yah - and the dogs like him too, so ...

I'm really proud of Anna for how well she did with our A team. "

Charlie Bejna

One of his lead dogs got scared coming in and stalled and they nearly balled up, but the others got him going again.

They were sleepy dogs.

"We had trouble the whole way. I had some dogs come into heat, and some dogs that liked to chew ganglines and neck lines and tug lines, and then I had sled problems [there was a vid of him mid-race trying to piece his leg back together after it broke] ... and then deep snow. It seemed like every day was a challenge. And we finished and that was our main goal".

Aaron Peck:

"You'd come into checkpoints not knowing how long you were going to be there, or if you'd even get to leave... It was ups and downs for sure"

He had at least one baby at the finish, who rode on the front of his sled over to the dog yard.

Emily Maxwell:

So bundled up, it took her several minutes to take off all her hats.

"They did great! OMG, I'm so freaking proud of them!

...a few times we were on the right side of the weather and a few times the wrong side. We were stuck at Don's Cabin for something like 13 hours. But we were with other friends who are mushers, so it was fine. The dogs got some rest anyway.

It's so beautiful out there. And after 4-5 days, you're really in tune and "with" the dogs, it was a really good feeling"

ANdy Nolan:

"It was pretty bad. We got lost a couple of times, but made it through"

(shell shock? :) )

Cody:

"It was a pretty cool year. We had lots of challenges and some of them the dogs did great at, and others we learned what we need to work on.

After Shak, out on the sea ice, there was no trail and it was pretty wild - and the dogs just excelled. It was pretty awesome. Great to see the leaders work through that stuff".

Martin:

"If you looked at my incredible times, they were unprecedented - they were unprecedentedly slow. I thought I was driving siberians again. It was pretty incredible. I have no idea what happened. I was consistent once we hit the coast - consistently slow. "

elsietee

Postby elsietee » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:13 am

Dave Delcourt - just came in while I was watching the other vids. I guess he caught the camera man on the hop, since the only footage was of him leaving the chute. Better than nothing :)

Tim Muto:

"We cruised up the coast, for sure - doing 9 mph the whole way here - we kicked butt!"
elsietee

Postby mira » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:17 am

Five teams left on trail. Magnus is not longer red lantern, he left WM just ahead of Jason.
mira

Postby fladogfan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:21 am

You never know mira, we might have Norwegian bookends yet ;)
fladogfan

Postby mira » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:04 am

The red lantern group, Magnus, Anja and Jason are 10 miles from Safety....so red lantern will arrive in Nome in 4-5 hours..and then Iditarod is finished..
mira

Postby fladogfan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:00 am

No book ends mira. But am I reading correctly, will Nic be awarded the fastest Safety to Nome award?

Or is that WM to Nome?
fladogfan

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk