History of internet in off road Bethel

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

History of internet in off road Bethel

Postby Di* » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:07 am

Watch this finish video of Mike Williams JR and about a third of the way through there is an incredible history lesson from John Wallace, Pete Kaiser's good friend. He talks about his early efforts at internet coverage in the remote off road village of Bethel. Priceless info for true race fans courtesy of Kale Casey! :D

https://www.facebook.com/kalecaseylive/ ... 8/?__xts__[0]=33.%7B%22logging_data%22%3A%7B%22page_id%22%3A1842102139164768%2C%22event_type%22%3A%22clicked_all_page_posts%22%2C%22impression_info%22%3A%22eyJmIjp7InBhZ2VfaWQiOiIxODQyMTAyMTM5MTY0NzY4IiwiaXRlbV9jb3VudCI6IjAifX0%22%2C%22surface%22%3A%22www_pages_home%22%2C%22interacted_story_type%22%3A%22565413710334575%22%2C%22session_id%22%3A%22ffffc43596ceb7b699ba6da8064cf34c%22%7D%7D

****not sure if this is viewable if you don't have FB but worth a try anyway! You can hit the "not right now" button when the thing pops up to subscribe to FB and it should go away and let you watch the video! Let me know how it works out!
Last edited by Di* on Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dogs...What they lack in manners, they make up for in Sincerity!
Di*

Re: History of internet in off road Bethel

Postby JeanieB » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:36 am

This is amazing! Watch it to the end! I may be a little nuts, but I was crying as John Wallace described getting the first dog mushing website (k300) and blog from Bethel, and how they did all that.....getting the first digital pics in with code! I felt like I was reliving my first experience trying to follow the Iditarod (I am not sure what year, but it was between '95 and '98 I think). I am thinking he must have had communication and collaboration with John C. and the BSSD group. That was our beginning! This is our history!

All these years we have been begging for REAL coverage of REAL mushers and REAL dogs..........HERE IT IS!!!! Kale Casey is giving it to us!!!!! He has listened and he is doing it! I am so loving this. It really is the next best thing to being there.

Poop, I am still crying!
"When women reach a certain age, they begin to collect dogs. This is known as "Many - Paws""
JeanieB

Postby Breeze » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:59 am

JB I remember the kaiserracing.com cam at "the pink house" in Nome, a cam that we used a couple of years to watch the finish live in Nome.

If it feels like a huge family reunion every year for us-- it is exactly that.
Breeze

Postby elsietee » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:55 am

Oh! I didn't realise that was Pete's dad. I listened to that interview on my way home, so couldn't watch.

He had all kinds of interesting information (like the bit about the Iditarod trail serving the miners travelling back to ANC for the winter).

Kale has gotten some nice interviews after the mushers have left the chute with all manner of people he encounters - with a wide variety of topics.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby fladogfan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:27 pm

What is Kale's business that he needs to get back to it?

I'm hoping it's something I or we can support.

Edit to add:

this might be the company.
https://www.facebook.com/nonstopdogwear ... f=mentions
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby mira » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:41 am

Yes, he is working for non-stop dogwear.
mira

Postby Di* » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:42 pm

elsietee wrote:Oh! I didn't realise that was Pete's dad.

oops that's because he isn't lol! I thought I had heard Kale introduce him as Pete kaiser's dad in another video! Sorry folks, I edited my post :)
Dogs...What they lack in manners, they make up for in Sincerity!
Di*

Postby elsietee » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:18 pm

Di* wrote:oops that's because he isn't lol!

: ) ) ) )

Hah. I didn't think they looked alike, but was driving and listening, not looking except for a glance.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby Heidi » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:25 am

That was COOL, Diana. Thanks!! 8-)
Heidi

Return to Mushing Talk