Banquet live stream!

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Banquet live stream!

Postby libby the lab » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:46 am

According to post by ITC on Facebook they are going to livestream the banquet. 4 pm ADT. See you all in chat!
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Re: Banquet live stream!

Postby fladogfan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:04 pm

We are sorry for those who missed the chat room and banquet. dilli was there and you know she always has treats, and of course the duck farts :shock:

This year only those signed up as paying Insiders got to see the live stream as it happened, however the ITC said in an email,

The presentations will be filmed by Insider and available for view at some point after the banquet. Live Stream will be available for Insider Subscribers only

So whenever the "some point " is then we can all watch the awards.

However, we who are without insider had 3 wonderful, generous 'buds typing away as the awards were presented and mushers came to the stage. Many thanks to elsietee, libby the lab also known as Go Aliy Go and Gatekeeper. without them I would have been blind. Thank you so much for helping us/me to see. We had at least 17-18 Iditabuds in chat tonight, not all at the same time.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby elsietee » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:40 pm

I'm really sorry I had to bug out. I had visitors arrive unexpectedly and it was getting to the rude stage of me ignoring them.

When they post the full banquet footage (which I missed from Shaynee onwards), I'll try and transcribe as I listen - it's not up yet. :(
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:14 pm

Re. reading the chat comments on what GAG/Lib typed (thanks for picking up the slack!):

• Wondering if Monica's $1049 that she donated for the salmon was her winnings (everyone after 20th place got $1049).
  • Tim Osmar injured his ankle during the wildfire in 2010:

Iditarod musher Tim Osmar was injured Thursday while saving his home and his father's place near Ninilchik. Osmar shattered his leg and ankle when the four-wheeler he was riding hit a stump and he was thrown from the machine. His father, 1984 Iditarod champion Dean Osmar, went to help his son. He said the fire was within 10 feet of the cabin when he arrived Friday.

Firefighters helped get Tim Osmar to a hospital in Soldotna where he underwent surgery.

• Joar's visa status was discussed on his FB page:

Q: I’m not familiar with athletic visas to the United States. Are Joar Leifseth Ulsom’s 10 years almost up, or can he renew as long as he is involved with a nonprofit educational program?

Mille Porsild: Joar is indeed allowed to stay and race here in the US with a visa as part of our programming around Beringia. It is not actually a "10-year sports visa" (whatever that is). As it is a matter always up for decision with the US immigration we will continue to adhere to their guidance and not speak before we know!

and then from the ADN article:

He has a visa to live in the US as an athlete [and] races as a member of Racing Beringia - part of GoNorth! Adventure Learning, a nonprofit program that creates K-12 education plans based on expeditions, like the ID...

Because of his visa, he can't keep the cash he earns racing, said Porsild... [he] donates his race winnings to the nonprofit. The nonprofit and Ulsom's sponsors pay for his expenses in AK.

elsietee

Postby fladogfan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:33 am

I hope Berginia donates the truck back to Joar.
fladogfan

Postby Heidi » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:13 am

Heidi

Postby Moose » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:57 pm

Oh, man. I hope he gets to keep the truck, too!
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby fladogfan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:25 pm

Heidi, thanks for the article.
Remember we were worried about Telpin during the Quest? Didn't worry YQ would 'make' him withdrawer though.
Think I've mentioned, more than a few times, I love the look of the Chukchi dogs.
fladogfan

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:11 pm

They posted the banquet vid, so I started transcribing:

Golden Harness:

Russeren
"he's so powerful, he amazes me, but he is also very kind, shy, and a loving young boy in a very big body. At his core, he's simply a driving force. In our kennel, he's known as "The Russian Express".

Joar:
"Russeren is a really fantastic dog and I've been really priviledged to have him on my team. He's really been a great dog to have, and I look forward to running him in many more races.

In every single team that gets here to Nome, there's a special lead dog that takes them there - that really puts on and does the job better than any other dog... this prize, I think, goes to any lead dog, in any team. Thank you so much".

52 - Magnus Kaltenborn - 12d 20h 13m 14s

Thanks his friends and family. "I kind of had an extended experience on the trail there - I got my money's worth there and I figure I pretty much laid the groundwork for the "most improved" award - I did - mathematically - the best I possibly could this year. Thank you very much."

51 - Anja Radano (r) - 12d 20h 0m 10s

"I want to thank - of course - my dogs, because without them, I wouldn't have gotten here - and it took me a long time to get here in the first place. But they were amazing and it was a truly amazing experience. I loved *almost* every minute of it <laughs> and I hope to be back soon - hopefully next year, but definitely the year after to do this again."

50 - Jason Stewart (r) - 3/17 10:53:10
(wife drove the dogs last year)

"Wow.

What an experience - with my dogs that I've trained with my wife over the last few years... the people I met on the trail; all the volunteers, thank you *so* much; the vets that took care of the dogs; to my sponsors - the AK Correction Officers Assoc - who really made this possible - all the officers that stand with me on that thin blue line - thank you. Air line Transport <encourages audience to clap> that got my drop bags down the trail; Howling AK that makes fine, outstanding equipment; to my friends and family that supported me; and my dear wife Melissa who kicked me out the door after 7 x 12 hour days - coming home, I didn't want to get up and move another inch and she kicks my butt out the door every day and tells me to get down the trail. Thank you, sweetheart, I love you."

49 - Meredith Mapes (r) - 12d 17h 35m 58s

Introduced by Nome-ite Jan DeVries

"Meredith is from Knik, her kennel is called "Fun on the Run Kennel" and orange is one of her theme colours - and it is as vibrant as her personality. I was very proud to have bid and won the ride in her sled".

Meredith:
"I have to second what Jason said 'Wow'! It has been an amazing experience and I've been working towards it for a really long time - about 18 years now. It was everything I thought it'd be and a whole lot more too. And I definitely wouldn't be here without my sponsors, esp my boyfriend Dylan, my handler Kayla, my mom and my dad who supported me for these 18 crazy years of running dogs, and having my own kennel for about 12 years now.

- Thanks sponsors -

I definitely would not be here without the Seavey family - I originally rode on a dog sled at two year old at Seavey's Iditaride in Seward, and I've had the pleasure of working there the last six summers for Mitch and getting to help educate people about racing sled dogs and running sled dogs. I really like my job there, so I'm going back for my seventh summer this year.

And I definitely wouldn't be here without my dogs - esp my main leader, Sarah Jane, who Mitch gave me a puppy and <chokes up> turned into the best little lead dog ever. She's my favorite baby.

Thank you... hopefully I'll be back in the future. "

(her bio is quite interesting: http://iditarod.com/race/2018/mushers/1 ... ith-Mapes/)

48 - Shaynee Traska (r) - 12d 16h 8m 25s

"Sorry if I get emotional.

First of all, all praise and glory to god. I would not be here without him, he led the team every step of the way. I am so thankful to have him on the team with us.

I have to thank my dogs - my husband and I have raised - the 16 that started - we raised 15 of them from newborns, one of them I got when she was 7 months old and she's 9 years old now, so these dogs entire lives have been spent with us, so it's been quite a journey to see them take their first breath - and then finish 1000 miles. I'm so grateful for their friendship.

One boy in particular - Paxon - came to the finish in single lead, ran the last 77 miles in single lead, carried us through the blowhole - no problem - so I'm very thankful to him. He was born and raised in MI with me, came to AK - and just finished 1000 miles - a pretty special boy.

Thank you to everyone who makes this race possible - it's unbelievable the folks that are out there, and so positive and happy. I had a really hard time in Elim - I was down to 7 dogs leaving Elim and didn't know if we could make it and so many people just encouraged me and told me to get out there and do it. And we did it. So thank you everyone - all the vets and vols. My family, my mom and dad who've been with me from the beginning - when I got my first dog at 14, they were out there helping me train - I couldn't drive to get where we had to train. So we'd load up the dogs adn they'd drive me out to training trails - it was a whole family affair, so I'm so thankful for all that they've done. My husband Jeremy, who's always encouraging me. He tells me I can do it when I don't think I can. I wouldn't be able to do it without him. My m-i-l Julie ... I was pretty grouchy before the race with all the stress, so thanks for putting up with me.

So thank you everyone - this is a 20-year dream come true. It's reality now. "

47 - Dave Delcourt - 12d 8h 34m 19s

"First I'd just like to thank my dogs - it's a puppy team from Robert Redington's Kennel "Whoa Mushing" - I started this race with two adults and 14 yearlings that have never been in a race before in their lives. I got here with 9 of those puppies. [and one adult, presumably - he had 10 at the finish]

Thanks to everyone at all the checkpoints - the vols, the vets, the communities, anyone who cooked me any food - I love you all.

Thanks to the people who cooked food tonight - this is, hands down, the best way to end this."

46 - Tim Muto (r) - 12d 8h 17m 57s

"Okaaay... wow... this is pretty incredible.

Unlike some of these guys, I've only known ID existed for 5 years, so it has not been a very long dream, but it has been very dense. My dream has meant a lot to me.

I've told this story to a few people already, so I apologize if you've heard it already, but ... I found myself half-way through the race, not even remembering what life was like before the race - I couldn't remember how far back it was. At that point, the end of the race was not in the foreseeable future for me, it just felt like this permanent state of what I was doing with my dogs. We would rest, and then we would run, and we'd show up somewhere, and there'd be an amazing group of people - the vets, thank you so much for looking after my dogs - and vols bringing me my food drop bags - and I was totally comfortable with that - I could do that forever - get up, and run my dogs, every single day forever... and I was totally happy with that.

It was a great experience - and I wasn't sure going into it if I would even like it. I've enjoyed all my shorter races that I've done, but a 1000 is a different beast and I kind of went into it thinking 'maybe it'll be miserable, maybe I won't like it'... but I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it.

I'd heard from a few people that 'you're going to go through ups and downs, and there'll be times when you're saying to yourself 'why am I out here?''... I *never* thought that, for even a moment. I even got terribly sick out there at one point and expelled the contents of my stomach for 8 hours - that part wasn't very fun... I probably lost 20 lbs - my pants are zip-tied right now to stay on <audience laughing> because I lost so much weight - those are some down sides, but I had all these pre-conceptions going into the race - you think about how things are going to look, and what your emotions are going to be like, and what the trail's going to look like, and this was such an amazing experience, I don't even remember what my pre-conceptions were. They don't even exist in my head any more. All I have is the memories that I've made in the last two weeks - and I'll be thinking about them for a while."

Thanks friends, g-friend, Lindwood (ran his yearlings this year with some of his dogs) - grateful for his trust.

45 - Misha Wiljes - 12d 5h 37m 32s

Thanks sponsors and friends. Hospitality in Nome. Husband for support. Checkpoints and trail vols "thank you for your open hearts".
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:50 pm

44 - Bradley Farquhar (r) - 12d 4h 58m 38s

"Gosh, I thought I did some pretty tough things in my life already, I've done lots of ultramarathons... I've climbed Denali, I swam the English Channel, but the ID is the only thing that left me in tears. It beat me up mentally and physically so much. It was extremely challenging - and it was everything that I wanted ....

Coming to Safety and going through that blowhole was unbelievably challenging, to the point where your sled is going sideways and your lead dogs don't know where to go. I loved how difficult it was, becuase it was the crown jewel of the finish of the ID. It was like 'if you can get through this, you can call yourself an ID musher' - and I was really happy to get here and get through it.

I couldn't have done this without the support of my family, my mom, my friends, my three amazing mentors throughout this process - Ken Anderson, Nicolas Petit, and Sebastian Schnuelle - I really appreciate everything they've done for me.

This dream started when I was 8 years old - I watched the movie Iron Will and it was only two year ago I started mushing - and to be here on this stage, talking to you guys, I count my lucky stars - I feel so blessed".

43 - Jeff Deeter - 12d 4h 50m 40s
"This was the best and the worst race I've ever experienced, but I loved every minute of it. I'm amazed at my 8 dogs that brought me all the way from Anvik - I owe the world to them. <gulps> Pretty awesome".

42 - Peter Fleck (r) - 12d 3h 27m 31s

"A few quick thank yous - firstly to the Seavey family for giving me this opportunity - they put a huge amount of trust in me, and I'm hugely grateful for that. I had an awesome time on the trail - amazing experience - thank you.

Coming into it, when I was younger, I ran the YQ, and coming to the end of that I was kind of in shock, it was a really tough, tough thing - so coming into this I was a little bit apprehensive, but I had such a great time and a lot of that was down to the people that I travelled with - the [inaudible] and enthusiasm of the vols and vets out there, and to the team of dogs I was privileged enough to be behind. There aren't words - it's very hard to articulate what you see out there - just how impressive they are - it's going to be exciting to see the future they have with Mitch and watching them ripping down the trail in a few years."

41 - Lev Shvarts - 11d 22h 12m 14s

"I got here with the help of a lot of sponsors and private individuals that stepped up and helped us fund this race - and we *really, really* appreciate it.

I loved being out on this trail with all these mushers - it's an experience that can't be replicated anywhere else and it's a special time of year for us, and like a two week vacation from real life, and I really enjoyed it. Thank you all".

40 - Larry Daugherty - 11d 20h 42m 6s

"Congrats to Joar, and congrats to all the rookies - I feel like your belt buckles should be twice the size of mine. This was my third ID, but I really feel like it was my first ID, very, very challenging conditions.

My heart is very full. I had a lot of lessons out there on the trail this year - a couple I want to share:

One lesson was in teamwork. A little dog on my team - one of my smallest dogs, named Pecan, for the first few hundred miles, I had her just in front of my wheel dogs. She was one of those dogs her tugline was always tight, always pulling, but also, as we would go around turns, this dog was very adept at jumping over the gangline - she knew her position in the team, what her role was and what she should be doing. And as we were going down the Gorge and down the steps, as a back of the pack musher, that area gets very trenched out and there's really no way to lean the sled in any direction - it's going to go where it's going to go. But despite that, we'd be going and Pecan would seemingly see a rock or a tree ahead and she'd be pulling with all her might on the line. It was so impressive to me - that little dog ...

Endurance was another lesson. I spent five hours going only 12 miles - through very soft conditions after a storm, spending the night in a shelter cabin...

Leadership. I learned from a dog named Tidy. Her mate's the golden harness winner from Joar's team, as we were going through the blowhole, I literally could not see my lead dogs - I couldn't see further than three sets of dogs in front of me - and I had total faith and confidence in this dog Tidy - and our team sped up, we were going 6.5 mph before the blowhole, and those conditions just seemed to excite that dog more - she pulled our team 2 mph faster through that. Any time I would stop to go up and check on those lead dogs, to sort out a tangle, she'd be there, rolling on her back, smiling and having a good time, looking like it was the greatest thing in the world. An incredible dog.

Patience and long-suffering, I learned by spending an unplanned camping trip on the sea ice. I should have followed the example of the more experienced, smarter mushers who stayed at Shak. I decided to push on through a storm and - I think my dogs could have made it, but one of the larger dogs on my team had a shoulder strain, seven miles out onto that sea ice, in very stormy conditions, i noticed a limp in my wheel dog. Therein I was confronted with options of either turning around - which I felt like would be a mistake - that my dogs may not want to go back onto the sea ice... I tried to carry that big 70-80 lb dog and my dogs were looking back at me like "no, buddy, sorry...", so I did the only thing I could do - I put a shoulder jacket on the dog, I applied heat, and waited for that dog's shoulder to get better - which took about 9 hours - and it was a frightening place to be. But we made it through it.

Lastly gratitude. Travelling through untouched wilderness on the way to ID. That black spruce forest and seeing untouched snow like I've never seen before. An area so remote... my rookie year, I gained the enviable title of "Lost Boy" after taking the longest detour in ID history and I'll admit that for the last couple of years, with my faith, I've been a little bit lost, and I felt in those moments that I found god again, and I was so grateful for that.

Also very humbled and grateful to Jen and Jason Campeau at the Atka Kennel - if you're ever going to jump in at the last moment to ID, in the last week or two, you want to jump in for Jason, this group of dogs was incredible, the preparation was outstanding. Every drop bag was like Christmas - I would open it up, not knowing what was in there.

Going through a section of significant overflow, my feet were wet and I didn't have extra boots. And there in the drop bag, Jason just knew, I was going to hit some overflow - and there was extra boots. Everything was perfectly planned. I feel extremely fortunate to be here for a third time - thank you so much.

elsietee

Next

Return to Mushing Talk