Yukon Quest: Top Five Picks (TFP) 2019, winner announced!

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Yukon Quest: Top Five Picks (TFP) 2019

Postby mira » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:50 pm

There is one musher enroute to fairbanks now and he seems to be claiming ROTY! So as we are waiting for Martin to get to Fairbanks and the two parties who conquer Eagle and Rosebud I thought there was time for some statistics for our TFP.

We had 18 contestants.

11 picked Martin as ROTY, 4 Chase Tingle, 2 Lisbet Norris and one Jim Lanier.

Both Allen and Matt where chosen as the winner by 7 members. 2 picked Brent Sass. According to our guesses, we had this result list:
1. Allen, 2. Matt, 3, Brent, 4. Jessie, 5 Hans.

7 chose Allen as winner, and 7 other had him in second and 3 in third, there were actually just one who didn't have him in their list and the rest of us had him in 1-3. The situation is quite similar for Matt, 7 had him first, 5 second and 5 third. Yet again, only one did not have him at all.
mira

Postby mira » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:41 am

...and the results are in!

Our winner had all the five mushers correct and one musher placed correctly! Actually, only 7 were able to get one musher at correct place.

Congratulations to elsietee, and with all that analytics posted during this years race I guess elsietee will be ready for next year as well!

elsietee: 13 (correct R)
flowerpower: 11 (correct R)
life, Marlyn, Breeze: 11
sc-race-fan: 10 (correct R)
klmobile, Alphashe, libby the lab, braider, mira: 8 (correct R)
txbennett: 8
flyingllaama, Barney, JeanieB: 6 (correct R)
emwcee: 6
fladogfan og Moose: 4
mira

Postby fladogfan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:02 am

Moosie! We share the red lantern :lol: :lol: :lol:
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby klmobile » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:52 am

Way to go Elsietee, and thanks for all your update!
Don't Buy Cheap work Boots!!
klmobile

Re: Yukon Quest: Top Five Picks (TFP) 2019, winner announced

Postby elsietee » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:09 pm

Thanks Mira - for your maths :)

I knew I was the only one who picked all the correct protagonists <proud>, but since I got them in the wrong order, I figured someone else was bound to take the "ultimate prize". :)

Yukon Quest, over the years, has gone from an abstract concept (a list of names of finishers - none of whom I knew or cared about) to a fully fledged, looooonnnnnnggggg spectator sport where I know many of the mushers through social media, know their dogs, know the trials they have been going through, know the trail (at least in my mind) and understand how each legs fits with the next - and to see the blow-by-blow through updates and scrutinize the trackers to understand what's actually happening (strategy is everything... and nothing when the plan falls apart) is wonderful. Understanding the nuances makes it all the more fun/interesting to watch.

For me, the sport has blossomed, and I've matured in my understanding of it. I don't follow any "mainstream" sports, so my sled dog season immersion is a curious thing (surrounded at work by basketball fans - which I totally blank on) to others, so it's good to have a place to come to spout on about whatever latest "thing" has happened in the race. :)
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby flowerpower » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:21 pm

Congrats Elsietee! Good job! Yes, and many thanks for the updates. They are a huge help for me! :D :D :D
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby Marlyn » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:26 am

Thanks Mira and Elsietee. You make this so much fun. I always run my own numbers and never get it quite right, but eventually I agree with you experts!!
Marlyn, formerly MarinOhio
Marlyn

Postby sc-race-fan » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:53 pm

Congrats Elsietee, and thanks Mira for the scoring. I feel great to be in the top 25% of "guessers". It was an interesting race and now on to the Iditarod picking!
Proud PaPa of the triplet litter; Aidan (B), Bailey (G), and Cameron (B). Cameron is on top in picture; Bailey, of course, is the bowhead!!
sc-race-fan

Location: formerly Columbia, South Carolina, now residing in Mooresville, North Carolina

Postby libby the lab » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:09 pm

Way to go LC!
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby Alphashe » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:43 am

Congrats, elsietee! And thanks to Mira :-)
Alphashe

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk