Laura Neese out of Yukon Quest

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Laura Neese out of Yukon Quest

Postby txbennett » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:42 am

Nature's Kennel
Like Page
11 hrs ·
We are saddened and very disappointed to announce that Laura Neese will not be running her team of NK dogs in the 2019 Yukon Quest. Laura and her dogs are fine, but unfortunately her drop bag supplies are not. Everything that she needed for the 1,000 mile race arrived in the Yukon six days early, in plenty of time before the drop bags were due to be distributed to the checkpoints by the race organization. Upon their arrival in Whitehorse they were accidentally left in a heated warehouse instead of being stored outside and her dog food thawed, spoiled, and leaked over all the rest of the critical supplies needed for the race. When the race organization went to pick up the drop bags and found them in this condition, there was not enough time to get all new supplies purchased, received, packaged, and shipped to the Yukon and out to the checkpoints.
Our apologies to all of the people who support Laura and her team but we promise you that her season is just beginning. To quote a wise man, ”We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed.” She is busy making her new race schedule (which she will announce soon) and her almost always present smile has already returned.
txbennett

Re: Laura Neese out of Yukon Quest

Postby mira » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:06 am

That must be a real bummer, all those preparations :(
mira

Postby Breeze » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:55 am

Ed Stielstra estimates the dollar loss from this mistake to be about $4,000 USD, more if the Quest doesn't refund her entry fee.

I have no idea who the shipping agent is in Whitehorse, but it baffles me why those drop bags were not recognized for 6 days. I didn't think Whitehorse was big enough for Yukon Quest drop bags to escape notice at this time of year. How did the bill of lading for this shipment actually describe the contents ?

I'm glad Laura can smile and move on, because I'm :o :twisted: :o :o :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Breeze

Postby txbennett » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:00 am

Yukon Quest - Official Site
1 min ·
Laura Neese has made the decision to withdraw from the 2019 race due to complications regarding storage of food drop bags in result of a miscommunication with a third-party transport company. Thirty mushers are still set to compete on February 2nd.
txbennett

Postby fladogfan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:53 pm

Will YQ return her entry fee? Give her free entry in YQ next year?
Will responsible person(s) pay for her ruined items?
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby libby the lab » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:14 pm

So sad. Maybe The Iditarod for her? I can't remember if she has entered this year
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby Moose » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:39 am

Just checked the Can-Am races. Laura is signed up for the CAC 250, which starts Saturday, March 2, in Fort Kent, ME.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Return to Mushing Talk