Quito

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Quito

Postby flowerpower » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:53 pm

Thanks for the reminder about the CBD oil. I tried it with Bekka, but it didn't seem to help her dementia. Opie is almost 15 and is having some slow days. She had a growth removed a few months ago, but it may be slowly spreading. I know her arthritis bothers her and Metacam is hard on her liver. I think I'll try some oil with her.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby txbennett » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:56 am

Let the buyer beware. Some companies are marketing "CBD" with Coconut Oil, or Castor Oil, or something else as the primary ingredient. CBD Oil is oil extracted from the Hemp plant leaves, and then best diluted to the desired strength (250mg for dogs and cats) with hemp seed oil and/or oil extracted from other parts of the hemp plant. Do not pay a high price for coconut oil!

Hemp plants are not marijuana plants. They are legal and they do nor produce a "high." They are both cannabis plants like lemons and oranges are both produced from citrus plants, but the fruits have different compositions.

Buy a product produced by a "regulated" company with controlled extraction processes. The USDA and some state's agriculture departments are highly regulating the Hemp industry and you are more likely to get what you pay for from the companies they regulate.

Do some research before you buy.
txbennett

Postby JLJ » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:23 pm

libby the lab wrote:http://mushing.com/super-dogs/famous-feet-quito-sp-kennels
Great article unfortunately she is battling cancer :cry:

Great article on Quito!

I think most people who have had dogs and/or horses know that you can love them all, recognize the extra fine qualities of some, but just once in a while,if you're very lucky, there's one that is a colleague, who happens to be of a different species . . . a very rare experience . . . Quito is surely one of those.

Did you just happen to know that the serious medical issue is cancer, or is it discussed somewhere?
JLJ

Postby flowerpower » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:16 pm

I just wanted to report I started Opie on CBD oil (250mg) 5-6 drops 2 x day about 5 days ago. I do see an improvement with her arthritis. She is friskier-she actually ran across the patio yesterday, and wanted to play for a few minutes tonight. Up to this point I have kinda been judging her good days by how far she is willing to walk to go potty, so I'm encouraged. :)
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby txbennett » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:50 am

It worked for my dogs and it works for me (1000 MG). I'm glad, Candy, that it is working for you and Opie. Frisky and playful are good things! It may take a short time for you to find the right dosage (a drop or 2 modification) and the dosage need may change (again a drop or 2) as Opie's need changes.

Good job.
txbennett

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk