IDITAROD Snippets and Links

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: IDITAROD Snippets and Links

Postby RAIMIS2 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:52 am

elsietee wrote:Back-of-the-pack Iditarod mushers trade stories about a ‘wicked’ trip through notorious Dalzell Gorge:

https://www.adn.com/outdoors-adventure/ ... ell-gorge/

I like reading about stuff like that. That's one thing, back when the then - OLN network did some TV race coverage, they really ignored. At least the previous one - was it Outdoor Channel?? - the guy on TV would talk about those back of the pack stories and interview any of the mushers (even when a Swenson would tell him to get the hell away :) ).

Remember back when Mackey and King would be dueling, with psychological stuff going on? The trickery when Lance pretended he was turning in for the night and took off when Jeff nodded off :) -- do you suppose, say a Cindy Gallea and a Cindy Abbott have similar psych gamesmanship going on? :lol:
RAIMIS2

Postby sc-race-fan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:47 pm

Just found a snippet in Frontier Scientist; a quote from Dr Mike Davis (AKA Leaddog) which states:
... you can “Take dogs out and you run them 100 miles per day today and tomorrow and the next day, and they come back, sleep, eat, do it again without having any outward sign of it mattering.” In fact when the dogs run in more than one strenuous race in the season “They don’t just continue to perform, they perform a lot better.” Davis pointed out “They can do it indefinitely, as long as you have trail and they’ve got food. They get tired, but they don’t fatigue in the biochemical sense.” They are essentially fatigue proof. I wonder if Aliy having 8 dogs who ran the Quest is a bonus.
Proud PaPa of the triplet litter; Aidan (B), Bailey (G), and Cameron (B). Cameron is on top in picture; Bailey, of course, is the bowhead!!
sc-race-fan

Location: formerly Columbia, South Carolina, now residing in Mooresville, North Carolina

Postby fladogfan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:49 pm

Was for Lance !
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby fladogfan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:06 pm

Hope this interview with Martin posts OK.

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Idita ... X2nKlO7ppg
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Another UK Fan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:16 pm

Thanks fdf - really interesting interview. :)
Another UK Fan

Postby elsietee » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:40 pm

fladogfan wrote:Hope this interview with Martin posts OK.

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Idita ... X2nKlO7ppg

did anyone else have problems with this video buffering? it kept starting and stopping.
We're having major storms here right now, so I don't know if that's what's causing it,
but it was frustrating since it was such a good interview.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby libby the lab » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:19 pm

buffered for me too
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby mamamia » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:26 pm

HI EVERYONE!!! I'm working a lot of overtime so I can't follow the race as closely as I like but I just wanted to pop in and say, HI EVERYONE :D HAPPY IDITAROD!
Let me also say Go Aliy!! I applaud her big move. That's a Quest team! They don't care if they have to break trail, at least it's warm. And I hope it snows and blows in the trail behind her so those rabbits behind her have to break trail too!
Needless to say I haven't been playing with any stats but I did take the time tonight to look at the runs from McGrath to Takotna. You may remember that this is our first Marker Run. After the technical challenges of the first third of the race it gives a snapshot of the strength of the various teams. So I've listed them and their travel times in order according to speed. I'm putting (r) next to the ones that rested in McGrath.

Ulsom 2:19
Failor 2:21
Seavey 2: 27
Diehl 2:28
Royer 2:31
Petit (r) 2:31
Holmes (r) 2:31
Beals (r) 2:31
Buser (r) 2:33
King 2:34
Zirkle (r) 2:35
Kaiser 2:35

Enjoy the race!
mamamia

Postby JeanieB » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:38 pm

Thanks for that, Mamamia. That's really a pretty good group who all have a chance. With all else equal, it sure looks good for Joar and Nick, but so many things can, and do, happen!
"When women reach a certain age, they begin to collect dogs. This is known as "Many - Paws""
JeanieB

Postby mamamia » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:47 pm

Can someone look at the tracker and tell me about Aliy's speed? How is she doing out there?
mamamia

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk