IDITAROD Snippets and Links

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: IDITAROD Snippets and Links

Postby Breeze » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:41 pm

Sometimes I think the stars all have to align perfectly for a musher to finish the Iditarod.

It isn't a new concept and I FOR SURE don't claim it as my own, doG nose way more people than I have said that, in the same or close enough words.

I hate to see mushers hard work and sweat equity get blown to kingdom come anytime, but this early in the race is just a cruel sucker-punch.

I would downplay the ' doggy Iditabugs" for Martin, because his dogs have just finished the YQ, and should be well inoculated against a lot of high population poop-scooping miseries.

I really hope his drop bags have remained frozen.
Breeze

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:26 pm

Linwood loses his team, Mats saves him:

https://www.ktva.com/story/40073993/mus ... d-his-dogs

"I hit a stump and the 'biner broke," he said. "I walked for a while pushing my sled 'cause I couldn't, you know, I thought, 'Well, if I find them I have to have something to attach them to.' That obviously wasn't very productive."
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby Moose » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:20 pm

Yes, something to attach them to would be good! :roll:
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby flowerpower » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:33 pm

From KTUU:
MCGRATH, Alaska (KTUU) - With more than 50 mushers hitting the Iditarod Trail this year - and around 14 dogs per team - it may come as no surprise that some of the four-legged competitors look a bit different from the rest. In some cases, teams have coats, a color scheme, gear or a flag that makes them stand out. How about a special trio of dogs?

"Led me across the finish line," Royer said. "They don't mind that wind along the coast."

Yes, you've heard it before: They say, "Don't judge a book by its cover." In Royer's case, however, it's, "Don't judge a dog by its coat."

This Iditarod is the 17th for Royer, and another run that includes a few extra-furry athletes on her roster.

"Chilkat and Elias, and their brother Wrangell," she said, pointing out the three long-furred pups.

"They're 7 years old," she said, "and actually helped me cross the finish line at Iditarod last year."

The three dogs are also noticeably fluffy.

"They're littermates with all the rest of them, actually," Royer said. "They just look different."

While most of her team looks like what you might expect, Royer has heard it all.

"[People] come up to me and go, 'That must be a really good dog if that's on your team!' " she said. "And I go, 'Hey. Hey! Don't judge them by their looks! They're pretty good dogs!'"

As for how they've all been on the trail, Royer said the beginning - specifically around the Yentna area - was a bit tough, but that's about it.

"We're doing good," she said. "They're handling the heat good. And traveling good. The trails are a lot better than I actually thought they would be."

"So they've so far been pretty hard and fast, so that's been nice," she added.

No matter what you might expect from this team - including the three fluff-balls Royer loves so dearly, one thing is certain.

"As my hat says, 'Never Give Up,'" Royer said. "I just don't ever give up."

As of press time, Royer was in 6th place, having arrived to the Rohn checkpoint.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby libby the lab » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:51 pm

Chilcut :D
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby Breeze » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:15 pm

If you are going to camp out with your sled dogs, seems to me you want your dogs to impart some warmth, otherwise that whole 3 dog night thing is just BS.
Or, you have to put coats on every dog, and they won't keep you warm.

If Jessie Royer has a leg up on furry/fluffy and fast ? That is seriously awesome.

Chilcat, Elias and Wrangell. I kind of wish Jessie Royers fur-balls and Nic's " Ugly" were not such rarities in the world of Alaskan Sled Dogs. Long hair and long legs are not ( necessarily) mutually exclusive.
Breeze

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:34 pm

Brent Sass' lead dog - Jeep - was bred for sprint mushing, so doesn't have a thick thick coat. Brent said he had to futz around with coats and such, making sure the dog didn't get chilled, but that he was willing to do that because it was such a good dog. But it sounded like the rest of his team were hardy, thick-coated dogs - and fast, judging by his speed on the trail - I think he rested more than everyone around him, but was just plain faster on the trail.
elsietee

Postby flowerpower » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:36 pm

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby elsietee » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:50 am

Back-of-the-pack Iditarod mushers trade stories about a ‘wicked’ trip through notorious Dalzell Gorge:

https://www.adn.com/outdoors-adventure/ ... ell-gorge/
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:54 am

Stump Jumpin' Kennel - Wade Marrs
midnight AK time:

IN MCGRATH! (MILE 311)

Wade is not shy at proclaiming that this is his favorite spot to stop on the trail, besides Nome of course! So the big question, will this be the checkpoint Wade stops at to take his 24hour mandatory rest?

Earlier today Wade had to haul 2 of our heaviest dogs for about 20 miles into the checkpoint of Nikolai, Rock and Perry. Both dogs reported to be doing well, though will return home to me shortly. I don’t know the exact details of his decision to return both of the boys, but I have some ideas! Wade also isn’t shy about his favoritism of training small females, I’ll be interested to hear what he has to say about that after hauling those big guys! The team seemed to have taken a short recovery break in Nikolai and set off to McGrath at a steady pace.

Now on to the nitty-gritty. Wade knows he has time to make up with his team, and how he will choose to navigate this challenge remains to be seen. What I do know is that Wade is probably not who some of those teams in front of him want coming up from behind on the trail. The guy is no stranger to adversity and is as smart and level headed as they come behind a dog team. Wade does not wait for opportunity to present itself, he finds it! With some front running teams making a big push, impending weather, and a talented chase pack…this race is only beginning!
elsietee

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk