IDITAROD Snippets and Links

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: IDITAROD Snippets and Links

Postby Breeze » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:56 pm

When I took a look at the current standings page earlier this evening, I saw the top ten and thought, heck anyone of them could win this race.

Then I looked at the next five, shook my head to move the rocks around, and thought, heck ya, and anyone of these mushers could win this race.

Predictably, I looked at the NEXT five, and that ended at the then current 20th place Jeff King. Yep, even he could battle it out with Old Man Seavey.

So there you have my contribution to the " who's winning this Iditarod" frenzy. Someone from the top Twenty as of Wednesday night will be first to Nome.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Breeze

Postby braider » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:00 pm

Yup, I'm going with what Breeze said. :)
braider

Location: Bemidji, Minnesota - the first city on the Mississippi River

Postby elsietee » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:01 pm

mamamia wrote:Can someone look at the tracker and tell me about Aliy's speed? How is she doing out there?

She just started moving again - she was staying at Don's Cabin - 35 miles past Ophir.

SHe's currently at mile 389, travelling at 6.4 mph (Ophir - 353, ID = 432)
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby fladogfan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:21 pm

elsietee wrote:
fladogfan wrote:Hope this interview with Martin posts OK.

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Idita ... X2nKlO7ppg

did anyone else have problems with this video buffering? it kept starting and stopping.
We're having major storms here right now, so I don't know if that's what's causing it,
but it was frustrating since it was such a good interview.

Sorry for the trouble , I just watched it again and had no trouble. Go figure.

Waving at mamamia, good to see you.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby libby the lab » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:24 pm

A man and his dog

For the second year in a row, Mitch Seavey has sent his lead dog Pilot home from #iditarod early. Mitch left Pilot with the vets on day 2, only slightly further than last year's day 1 separation. Both times it's been a minor inflammation in his tendon, which has been bothering him since the 2018 pre-season. Both times he's been fine within a few hours. Both times we knew it was going to happen. Yet Mitch takes him anyway.

Both times I've tried to talk Mitch out of it. Especially this year, he had several perfectly competent replacements, and with only 14 dogs to start, sending a dog home is a bigger blow. Mitch took him anyway.

Mitch has become much more open, candid, over the years. He's always been a passionate guy, but he's let us into his thought process a bit more this year, and we've realized how much emotion and psychology is involved with this race.

There are the base level concerns; he has to physically cover 1000 miles of unforgiving terrain and ever changing weather. Then there's the competition aspect. any great athlete has to believe he can win, even if it's perhaps not a logic mindset. He has to put himself on the line, risking failure, looking foolish or worse on a public stage. Whatever they may say to the cameras, every Iditarod musher's self esteem is directly connected to their Iditarod performance. Not necessarily finish position, but how they handled themselves, the dogs, and the elements.

Pilot is a freak of nature. He's the lead dog born with more physical talent than any we've ever seen. For him, running to Nome is freedom. He loves it. It's easy for him. He holds the Iditarod record for fastest trip ever by 2 1/2 hours. He wasn't even winded at the end.

Pilot doesn't recognize his own strength. Despite being the biggest, strongest, and fastest dog on the team, he's very submissive, unsure, even timid. He'll go like mad, but he needs Mitch to tell him it's ok. To protect him from the big scary world.

The mutualism between the two is undeniable. Mitch needs Pilot. Not as a lead dog, he has others. Pilot is the dog that makes Mitch great. Not just on paper, but in his own assessment. And Mitch is the musher that makes Pilot safe, confident, and and lets him do his thing, which is run like no other.

I'm sure there are others, but Brady/Belichick would be a sports comparison, but this has the added layer of being a man and his best friend. Anyone who has a dog knows what I mean.

So Mitch will probably start Pilot until he is too old to run to the first checkpoint. You can chose who 'he' refers to in the sentence above.

P.S. Mitch will deny all of this. He makes rational decisions based on the best information available, and doesn't let emotions get in the way. But I'm entitled to my opinion. I may delete this before he gets to internet.

Danny

Pilot is powered by Dr. Tim's Pet Food Company, LLC

Photo by Jeff Schultz
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby mamamia » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:29 pm

Thanks elsietee
mamamia

Postby elsietee » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:58 pm

I've got the "Live" feed running in the background while I'm working - and rather than live, they are showing the long race recap for 2011.

Fun to see the mushers "of old" (not really, but you know what I mean) - many of whom are still racing, some of who have retired.

Dogs included - Joker - Hugh's dog that was being talked about recently shows up.

Trent Herbst saying that if he puts his icy beard in the sleeping bag with him, it melts all over his chest.

This was the year Mitch sliced his hand open with his knife.

Newton talking about seeing a family of four waving to him on the trail... only when he looked again, he realised it was some spruce trees. He's laughing, saying how stupid it was - him waving to these trees, totally sleep-deprived.

Ramey Smyth giving chase to John Baker, and coming in second by less than an hour.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:00 pm

libby the lab wrote:
P.S. Mitch will deny all of this. He makes rational decisions based on the best information available, and doesn't let emotions get in the way. But I'm entitled to my opinion. I may delete this before he gets to internet.

Danny

Love this. Danny def shows the best of his family, while they try hard to hide it.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:18 pm

Not a lot of video coming out of anywhere right now. I suspect the filmers are stuck in their various positions - snowed in. Greg and Bruce said they were going to try to get to ID, but last I heard their one film crew were stuck at RP and the weather hasn't let up since yesterday. Bruce said 5" of snow had fallen while they were indoors.

The spread is:

Ophir:
Nic
Jessie H
Aaron
Beringtons

Tak:
Joar
Jessie R
Pete
Matt H
Richie D
Ryan
Mitch
Matt F
Paige
Mats
Travis
Linwood
Jeff
Jason
Charley
Michi
Ed

McGrath:
Wade
Lev
Aaron P
Starh
Ramey
Jeff Deeter
Brett
Seth
Richie B
Jessic
Robert R
Lance
Emily
Sebatien
Niklas
Blair

And get this - our rookie Martin has gone through McGrath and is on the trail to Tak. He's the only one moving past there right now.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:30 pm

Iditarod Weather: Record Snow for Nome while Advisories continue near Ophir

https://www.ktva.com/story/40076190/idi ... near-ophir
elsietee

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk