Finger Lake to Nikolai (cross the Alaska Range)

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Finger Lake to Nikolai (cross the Alaska Range)

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:02 am

As of midnight AK time, Nic is out front by 20 miles, leaving behind him a camping party at Farewell Lake, 20 miles past Rohn. And as I was typing this, he has pulled off the side of the trail by what looks like almost half a mile - there must be a choice spot there, to rest.

Camping out are: Ryan, Joar, Aliy, Matt H, Jessie, Mitch, and Richie D. They only took 12, 7, 42, 11, 18, 20, 11 minutes respectively in Rohn (interesting that both Aliy and Mitch were the slowest through there - and Joar the quickest)

Pete Kaiser is nearly upon them, but since he stayed 3 hours in Rohn, I'd guess he'll keep going to Nikolai.

Travis Beals is not far behind either - he allegedly went through Rohn in one minute, including dropping a dog (<doubt>).

And behind him is Matt F who blew through in 11 minutes, so I'd expect both of those two to camp at Farewell Lake (wish we could see the dots on the trackers like on YQ to figure out where they last rested).
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Re: Finger Lake to Nikolai (cross the Alaska Range)

Postby mira » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:01 am

Joar rested for fours on trail around 210 mile (in the area of farewell lake, there's always big parties of mushers there). Buser is resting there now (as he always do I think).
Joar is currently in front, 9 miles before Peter Kaiser.

Peter did stop on trail, for two hours, approximately at the same place as Nicolas (mileage 230). Joar passed Peter one hour after he got to rest. According to the tracker it looks like Nicolas has gone off trail, I kind of think he has done it so the chasers wouldn't see him, but I don't know.

Jessie has just passed Nicolas, Aliy is about to do it. I expect Nicolas to start in approximately 30 minutes, then he will have rested for six hours.
mira

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk