Nikolai- McGrath- Takotna - Ophir

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Nikolai- McGrath- Takotna - Ophir

Postby Another UK Fan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:12 am

Tx is the weather still tough? Last report was it was snowing and blowing and the snow is like talcum powder. Joar said there's no point going to Idit if it's snowing. Has it eased up a bit? Enough to be brave safely and make the move?
Another UK Fan

Postby mira » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:17 am

I think he said it wasn't any point of going if it's snowing and blowing, the snow itself wasn't a big problem. It seem to me that he experienced that last year, you just use too much power to get there.
mira

Postby Another UK Fan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:20 am

Yes it seemed that to me too. More about the power used.

Just checked the live stream from Takotna and it looks like it's still snowing - but the screen is frozen so the image could be out of date.
Another UK Fan

Postby mira » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:01 am

I looked at the different weather models at [url]windy.com[/url], to me it looks like it is smart to do 24 now and then go. There some wind the next hours, then probably more calm, before more wind sets in. I guess Aliy and Nicolas stays for 24 in Ophir. Both of them stayed for 4 hours in McGrath.
mira

Postby txbennett » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:11 am

8 of Aliy's dogs ran the Quest with Allen where they dealt with long runs and deep snow and wind. Maybe she will 24 in Ophir, but that gives Nic and Joar a definite advantage. If Aliy is racing to win this stretch from Takotna and Ophir then through Ruby (on the northern route) is where she has made strategic moves in the past.

We will only know in a few more hours. :D :D :D
txbennett

Postby mira » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:18 am

txbennett wrote:8 of Aliy's dogs ran the Quest with Allen where they dealt with long runs and deep snow and wind. Maybe she will 24 in Ophir, but that gives Nic and Joar a definite advantage. If Aliy is racing to win this stretch from Takotna and Ophir then through Ruby (on the northern route) is where she has made strategic moves in the past.

We will only know in a few more hours. :D :D :D

That is true, she usually splitted the run from Takotna to Ruby in three, resting before and after Ophir. But then I'm pretty sure she took 24h in Takotna. As Joar said in the interview, you want to put the storm between you and the chasers. We just have to wait... I guess.
mira

Postby mira » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:53 am

I was trying to look at at rest/run times based on the GPS trackers, but the history is a bit baffled, so no go. But Nicolas seems to be on a schedule of long runs and four hours rest.
mira

Postby libby the lab » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:39 am

Definitely think Aliy is trying to change it up. When was the last time she didn't 24in Takotna?
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby mira » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:42 am

Jessie Holmes and Aaron has also left Takotna, Aliy is almost into Ophir and Nicolas is still there.

I tried to put together something showing their elapsed time, since they haven't done their 24 yet. It shows that it is very tight, but it looks like Aliys position is not so good at it seems and that Joar actually were in lead when they reached Takotna (okay, not really a surprise).

elapsed_time.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mira

Postby txbennett » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:26 am

If Aliy and/or Jessie Holmes and/or Aaron Burmeister leave Ophir after a short (3 to 4 hour) rest they can follow Trail Breaker's snow machine trail to Iditarod. The next teams after taking their 24 hour break will be punching through fresh snow and to some extent breaking their own trail.

It's fun to speculate, since only the mushers themselves know their strategic plans.

:D :D :D
txbennett

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk