Ophir - Iditarod - Shageluk

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Ophir - Iditarod - Shageluk

Postby mira » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:32 am

I will guess four to six hours? And then another 60 miles run to the trail after Iditarod, new rest, and then 60 miles to Anvik? A perfect 60x3 miles run set up. But this is just speculation. As usual :)
mira

Postby mira » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:55 am

Jessie (R) will soon pass Joar. Jessie left Ophir 2 hours and 23 minutes behind Joar. Jessie is a couple of miles from Joar and Joar has rested for a litte more than two hours. Jessie might have gone a bit faster, but that's like five minutes or so. Unfortunately I can't stay to see exactly when she passes.

Buser has rested for almost four hours, he is 8 miles down the trail. Peter and Nicolas is traveling together.
mira

Postby flowerpower » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:05 am

Joar and Nic are on the move and neck and neck at mile 389. They are about 7 miles away from Martin, who has been resting for about 5 hours at mile 396. Behind them are Kaiser, Royer (who has been stopped for 42 min. currently at mile 388), Diehl is further back, Failor, Drobny, @ 364. Mitch has been stopped at 364 for 45 mins. Not sure why he would be stopped coming off his 24 and only 12 miles out of Ophir?
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby mira » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:23 am

Flowerpower, thanks. I wondered about Mitch as well
mira

Postby COHusky » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:13 am

mira, flowerpower, elsietee and all those with the tracker/insider, thanks so much for posting
COHusky

Postby Alaska61 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:05 am

COHusky wrote:mira, flowerpower, elsietee and all those with the tracker/insider, thanks so much for posting

Amen to that!
Huge thank you.
Retired and loving every second of it
Alaska61

Postby mira » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:07 pm

So, finally able to sit down in front of the computer, and certainly its happening stuff on the trail.

Nicolas is two miles in front of Joar, they have 10 and 12 miles left to Iditarod. Mitch Seavey must have found some jetpacks or perhaps his GPS tracker played games with us. Jessie and Mitch are together, 6 miles in front of Ryan Redington and Matt Hall.

Iditarod cp is at mile 432
Nicolas mile 422
Joar mile 420
Martin 411
Jessie and Mitch 395
Matt and Ryan 390

Peter and Richie, 388 resting
mira

Postby Alphashe » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:29 pm

Danny Seavey:
Mitch Seavey has jumped into 4th (6th with Aliy and Martin in front). He only stopped for 2 hours outside Ophir, and I expect him to camp again before Iditarod. He told me he's planning to add some more rest into the schedule, doubling down on the 'this is going to get hard further along' schedule.
Alphashe

Postby txbennett » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:30 pm

My guess is that Mitch unloaded his "carry dogs" and hooked up his entire team for the balance of this run -- perhaps all the way to the Yukon. His speed should pick up if that is the case.
txbennett

Postby mira » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:15 pm

Thanks Alphashe! I thought he was a bit behind earlier today, and then he stopped not that far from Ophir.. Then I was busy some hours with family (you know, homework, dinner, bed time) and when I had time to look again he was up there..

Nicolas has higher speed than Joar and has arrived in Iditarod. Joar is still three miles out or so.

Mitch is resting, at a creek at mile 397. Peter Kaiser and Richie Diehl is about to pass him.
mira

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk