Ophir - Iditarod - Shageluk

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Ophir - Iditarod - Shageluk

Postby fladogfan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:25 am

Aliy is on the move. 8.1mph and 4 miles past Iditarod.

GOALIYGO
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby elsietee » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:23 am

Trying to guess what their next moves will be, based on how long they rested in ID/Shag.

Also trying to guess if they are taking longer rests because the run down to ID took a lot out of the team, or if they're gearing up to run longer up the river before their 8.

A lot of 5 hour rests in ID - suspect that run took a lot out of the teams. So are the mushers who only took 4 hours confident, or gambling?

The only one who may not be gambling is Mitch who i think i read rested twice between Ophir and ID?

(I'm at a Convention this weekend, so limited ability to obsessively watch and comment. And typing on a tablet im not used to. )
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby fladogfan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:29 am

elsietee wrote:
(I'm at a Convention this weekend, so limited ability to obsessively watch and comment. And typing on a tablet im not used to. )

Oh no LCT, who would schedule anything during this time :lol: :lol:
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Di* » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:07 pm

fladogfan wrote:
Oh no LCT, who would schedule anything during this time :lol: :lol:

They wanted me to substitute teach all this week but I told them I wasn't available!! I know I am lucky to be able to decline work & believe me I'm thankful for it! :lol:
Dogs...What they lack in manners, they make up for in Sincerity!
Di*

Postby flowerpower » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:04 pm

Interesting. Marcelle Fressineau is the only musher who hasn't completed their 24-except Martin who is about halfway through his in Iditarod. She rested a little over 7 hours in Ophir and is headed toward Id.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby Gatekeeper » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:24 pm

An interesting replay of Marcelle and Emily's run from Ophir to Iditarod. Both left Ophir on Thursday evening, still on the trail. Several stalls, but with mushers passing them it can't be anything serious. Marcelle was stopped at one time for 10 hrs? Emiliy was stopped for a while then went, turned around and went back to the place she stopped. Both are moving now, Emily about 7 miles out and Marcelle about twice that.
Gatekeeper

Postby mira » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:42 pm

Marcelle is just around the corner for Iditarod, doing 1.9 mph.... and she hasn't done her 24 hour rest.

The last on trail is currently Jeremy Keller, he is 20 miles from Iditarod CP.

I am a bit worried about how far behind Marcelle will be after doing 24...
mira

Postby mira » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:45 pm

...and now her blob is orange, and doing 0.2 mph. Emily is one mile behind, hopefully she can help Marcelle into Iditarod.
mira

Postby Gatekeeper » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:49 pm

mira wrote:...and now her blob is orange, and doing 0.2 mph. Emily is one mile behind, hopefully she can help Marcelle into Iditarod.

That's leading the team speed. :(
Gatekeeper

Postby mira » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:58 pm

Yes :(

Emily seems to be at same spot as Marcelle now, and it's 0.6 mph. No, new update, Emily has passed Marcelle, and her speed is down to 0.1 mph. They are so close.. come on doggies..

marcelle.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mira

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk