Scratches

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Scratches

Postby elsietee » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:39 pm

Tweet from ADN:

ADN Iditarod
@ADNIditarod
Knik musher Jeremy Keller scratched from the #Iditarod this afternoon in Nikolai, according to race officials, who said: "Due to current events, Keller has made the difficult decision to scratch as he wants to be home with his friends and family during this stressful time."

"The Iditarod says he's mushing his team back to Willow, and his GPS tracker will be kept on as he heads home."
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby Di* » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:37 pm

I was curious how insulated the mushers were from current events(virus news) during the race but it seems they are kept informed of the current state of affairs after all.
Dogs...What they lack in manners, they make up for in Sincerity!
Di*

Postby tanglefoot » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:21 pm

i wouldnt have thought it was bad enough to have to scratch and head home though
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby elsietee » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:59 pm

Maybe caught him at a low point (like Nic, getting ready to scratch)? And he decided his perspective wasn't right?
elsietee

Postby Breeze » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:18 am

Keller may have family/friends/significant other who are actually in harms way. Medical personnel, airlines personnel, first responders, teachers, ( just fer-instance) are people who cannot work remotely.

Anyway, I sure as heck am surprised that ITC is leaving his GPS locator beacon active, caring that Keller gets home safely. I can't imagine that abundance of caring happening under the Stan Hooley/Chas St. George " administration".

Is this a kinder and gentler ITC ?
Breeze

Postby libby the lab » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:26 am

FYI His tracker is no longer showing to the public.
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby elsietee » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:54 am

Stuff from Jeremy Keller's FB account:

14 hours ago:
Good evening everyone! As you all saw earlier this evening, Jeremy decided to change up his race and head home rather than continuing to Nome. With everything going on with covid-19 he wants to be with his family and not risk any issues with getting home via plane or anything else.

He left Nikolai at approximately 3pm today, heading south. The folks at the Iditarod have kindly left his tracker on to make sure he has a safe journey, and hopefully that means we can continue to view it as well! He is already 30 miles into his journey (see attached map shot) and moving at a full 9-10 miles a hour (high speed with a rested and happy team).

Here is the brief article about his decision on the Iditarod site: https://iditarod.com/367289-2/

Jeremy has 70lbs of food with him and has been in contact with the folks in Rohn, where there is an almost unlimited supply of leftover food that he will be able to choose from for the remainder of his journey home.

He still has all 12 dogs and they are doing amazing.

He will be documenting the whole journey for you (now that he's not on the official race any more we can share anything we want!) so whenever he gets service I'll be sharing videos and pictures from his journey.

In my mind this is almost better for all of us following along at home! We got to see him racing and now get to follow along on a true wilderness mushing trip for another 250 miles. Let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer. Stay tuned and stay well!

Gaia

2 hours ago:
Good morning everyone! For those of you following, Jeremy's tracker was shut off late yesterday evening. It seems most likely that there was some confusion among the folks at Iditarod about the plan to leave it on. I am communicating with them and trying to get it back on and will keep you all posted if it is or we hear from him! Gaia
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:36 pm

Two mushers scratch in McGrath, Nils Hahn and Alan Eischens:

Veteran Iditarod musher Nils Hahn (bib #56) of Nome, Alaska, scratched at 8 a.m. today at the McGrath checkpoint. Hahn made the decision to scratch “in the best interest of our dogs.” Hahn had 13 dogs in harness at the time he made the decision to scratch.

Veteran Iditarod musher Alan Eischens (bib #49) of Wasilla, Alaska, scratched at 8:59 a.m. today at the McGrath checkpoint. Eischens made the decision to scratch in the best interest of his dogs. Eischens had 11 dogs in harness at the time he made the decision to scratch.
elsietee

Postby tanglefoot » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:41 pm

Keller is nearly back to Rohn, he tracker was turned back on a while ago, i hope he has a good trip UP the steps.
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby fladogfan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:11 pm

tanglefoot wrote:Keller is nearly back to Rohn, he tracker was turned back on a while ago, i hope he has a good trip UP the steps.

Now that would be interesting to watch.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk