Lance's New Truck

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Lance's New Truck

Postby aren » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:05 pm

THanks for that enlightening post breeze.
This is just a wild guess on my part, but isn't it likely that this Dodge belongs to the Dodge dealership in Nome (if there is one) and that Lance will get another identical car from Dodge in Anc when he gets back to Anc. I mean why make so much trouble out of it, first shipping the car to Nome and then back again. But like I said this is just guessing.
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby Frozen Chosen » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:35 pm

aren wrote:THanks for that enlightening post breeze.
This is just a wild guess on my part, but isn't it likely that this Dodge belongs to the Dodge dealership in Nome (if there is one) and that Lance will get another identical car from Dodge in Anc when he gets back to Anc. I mean why make so much trouble out of it, first shipping the car to Nome and then back again. But like I said this is just guessing.

Breeze and aren, both good guesses. There are several cargo planes that make daily flights to Nome, mainly from Anchorage. Anchor-town is the main hub here in the state and Juneau and Fairbanks are "sublets" for their respective areas. Nome, Barrow, Kotzebue, and Bethel are also hubs for their regions and outlying Bush villages. Nome gets 3-4 tug and barge visits (and at least a couple fuel tanker trips) during the summer beginning in early June, and continue till early September. Freeze up starts in October (but recently not until November as seasons have changed drastically the last 10-20 years toward warming), and spring break up starts in May. The majority of vehicles come in on the summer barge, but you can have practically any type of vehicle shipped by air cargo (a bit more expensive, i haven't kept up with the costs, just google for air freight to Nome, get there 800 # and call!).

I did not inquire into the particular truck they had parked at the finish, but it sure was a nice shiny blue truck! I could not get any closer than I was as I arrived a little late (I took wife and 3 kiddos out a couple miles out to get those "out of the night" shots of Lance (boy was he clicking, and kicking too!). I'll post more stuff as time allows.
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Postby aren » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:47 pm

Hi Frozen, good to see you online :) How long are you staying in Nome? Bet you enjoy yourself, it sure sounds like the right place to be at the moment. Btw how much is a return ticket from Anc :?:
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby Breeze » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:52 pm

It is large money guessing, aren.

I couldn't put that properly in my post without making assumptions about whether the USD 250,000 to be a Presenting Sponsor included goods, services, and/ or in-kind donations

Di's question was based on the fact that there IS no common-use motorway in or out of Nome for much of the year. It is boat or air for freight in or out. New Car sales in Nome???? :?:

Of course Lance will take delivery of his new Dodge much closer to home. He will have to have a stealership/dealership to do his scheduled maintenance.

Many thanks to Frozen Chosen, you move us closer to understanding each other from far away points with every post you make. You have a gift for that ( and a gift from Above in your family)

Breeze

Breeze
Breeze

Postby aren » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:05 pm

Hi, breeze, how are you doing :?: I am working tonight (it is 2am here) so it's nice to catch up on a lot of threads, articles and stuff I haven't been able to follow throughout the race :)
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby Frozen Chosen » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:05 pm

aren wrote:Hi Frozen, good to see you online :) How long are you staying in Nome? Bet you enjoy yourself, it sure sounds like the right place to be at the moment. Btw how much is a return ticket from Anc :?:

Hi aren, just got back to the interior town of Fairbanks a couple hours ago. Saw my last musher last night and will post stuff as time allows. too much going on, too many people i know in nome, it's easy to get bogged down on other goings on...but I did my best to concentrate on the race and snapped my camera as fast it could go...it started to glow red once, he, he...

My plane ticket to Nome from fbks round trip was 400 u.s. It is more from Anchorage i guess and Alaska airlines is most expensive (go to http://www.alaskaair.com to get ticket cost). But Frontier Flying Service flies to Nome from Fbks, and not sure if it takes off from Anch direct to Nome. Frontier flies Anch-Fbks also. Hope we can get a bit a competition here.

Wanna come up? come on!! come on up for YQ next year, then stay for Idit, then stay for North American Sled dog championship here in fbks and also Ice sculpture competition. http://www.icealaska.com.

Frozen
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Postby aren » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:42 pm

Hi Frozen, Looking forward to more stories and pics :) :) I would love to see AK and the big races. But, like you I have a family, wife and two kids. It is always difficult to get "time off" from family life and do some travelling all by myself.
I will try though, probabely not next year, but hopefully in 2010 or 11. :) :)
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby Di* » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:00 pm

aren wrote:Hi Frozen, Looking forward to more stories and pics :) :) I would love to see AK and the big races. But, like you I have a family, wife and two kids. It is always difficult to get "time off" from family life and do some travelling all by myself.

I can really relate to that too Aren! Not much chance of me taking a big trip like that for a while, until my kids get a bit more independent AND I save some $$$$$$$ :shock: :lol: !
Di*

Postby Deerskin and Anja » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:42 pm

how can someone get lost in nome?? especially with all those burma shave gnomes on the trail! loved that touch!
Deerskin and Anja
my service dog
Deerskin and Anja

Postby RAIMIS2 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:19 pm

tanglefoot wrote:dont forget lance and tonya on wife swop!!! not sure when its being filmed

Seriously?
RAIMIS2

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk