Shageluk to Kaltag (Yukon River)

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Shageluk to Kaltag (Yukon River)

Postby mira » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:00 pm

Okay, had to rewind a bit to see what's happening. Peter and Joar left EI together and seems to be traveling together. Nicolas rested at mile 610 for four hours (06:30 - 10:40).

Joar rested 5:42 at EI, Peter 5:17, but Peter must rest 8 hours in Kaltag. Jessie stayed for 10 minutes, but she rested on trail.

Mitch and Matthew Failor have also left Eagle Island cp. Matthew is resting at mile 598,
Richie, Aliy, Ryan, Jessie H, Paige, Matt Hall and Aaron are all at Eagle Island cp. Aliy and Aaron has not taken their 8 hours mandatory rest.

Edit, Kaltag is at mile 652, EI 592.
mira

Postby sc-race-fan » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:32 pm

Just read a post in Facebook from SPkennels "Aliy has decided to take her eight hour Yukon River rest in Kaltag! That is the last possible place to see out this mandatory rest and fits with her “all shook up” race plan to gather that extra rest as late as possible, ready for the run up the coast." Hope this "all shook up plan works for her!
Proud PaPa of the triplet litter; Aidan (B), Bailey (G), and Cameron (B). Cameron is on top in picture; Bailey, of course, is the bowhead!!
sc-race-fan

Location: formerly Columbia, South Carolina, now residing in Mooresville, North Carolina

Postby mira » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:35 pm

It does make sense.

Aliy has left Eagle Island
mira

Postby mira » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:25 pm

Last update from me before I head to bed. Also, look in the snap topic, there you have it in pictures.

Peter and Joar has been traveling more or less together, the same with Jessie (R) and Nicolas. Both Joar and Jessie has stopped on trail for resting, Peter and Nicolas are going on.

Peter has 23 miles to go to kaltag where he must stay for 8 hours. Nicolas has 24 miles to go, but he has taken his mandatory 8. Nicolas did rest four hours on trail after EI so I guess both these mushers will go to Kaltag. Nicolas seems to prefer to rest outside cp ("so I don't need to talk to you guys" as he answered insider team once), but Nicolas is quite unpredictible.

It was no surprise that Jessie stopped, she rested on trail before EI, curious about how long Joar will stay though.

From behind, Mitch is 12 miles behind Joar, Aliy is 8 miles behind Mitch. Jessie and Joar can rest for 4 hours and only be passed by these two teams I think. Aliy must also stay in Kaltag for 8 hours.
mira

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk