Shageluk to Kaltag (Yukon River)

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Shageluk to Kaltag (Yukon River)

Postby mira » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:20 am

Shageluk - Anvik - Grayling - Eagle Island - Kaltag.

Joar is into Shageluk as first musher to reach the Yukon river part of the trail. Shageluk isn't really at the Yukon river, but mushers might take their 8 hours mandatory rest here if they want to.
mira

Re: Shageluk to Kaltag (Yukon River)

Postby mira » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:32 am

Joar were first to Shageluk, but is resting there. Nicolas went through.

The trip to Shageluk - Grayling is 40 miles, so I would guess that Joar stay for some time and then travels through Anvik to Grayling. It's 24 miles between Shageluk and Anvik
mira

Postby Alphashe » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:33 am

Rumours say trailbreakers report from Kaltag: Shageluk to Graying was good...but after that.;
"tons of overflow, some places 2 feet with some decent spots. And deep snow.
Alphashe

Postby mira » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:03 am

So... if Joar rest 8 hours in Grayling, he can let Nicolas break trail :D Someone has to go... But it makes sense, I guess there are some snowmobile traffic between Anvik and Grayling, but then it's nothing...
mira

Postby fladogfan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:20 am

Alphashe wrote:Rumours say trailbreakers report from Kaltag: Shageluk to Graying was good...but after that.;
"tons of overflow, some places 2 feet with some decent spots. And deep snow.

That sounds dangerous.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby mira » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:29 am

Looks like Joar take the 8 in shageluk.
mira

Postby flowerpower » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:37 am

Joar Leifseth Ulsom, Jessie Royer, Peter Kaiser, Mitch Seavey are all in Shag now. Joar got in at 0.14 hrs. so should be about ready to pull the hook. Nic ran through to Anvik. Diehl is about a mile out, followed by Ryan Redington about 7 miles back. Then about 10 miles back to Failor and Drobney, then Hall and Holmes. Aliy is at mile 453, but her average speed is 7.2. I think that has dropped some, but not positive.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby flowerpower » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:38 am

Doesn't it have to be on the Yukon River? Shag is not on the Yukon. I wondered about that too.
Edit-No, Shag is included so I guess he is taking his 8.
Eight Hour Mandatory Stops: In addition to the mandatory twenty-four (24) hour stop, a musher
must take one eight (8) hour stop on the Yukon River, including Shageluk in odd numbered years,
and one eight (8) hour stop at White Mountain.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby flowerpower » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:09 am

Looks like Nic has been stopped in Anvik for about an hour and a half, so probably taking his 8 there. Interesting.
flowerpower

Postby Di* » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:09 pm

So it looks like he didn't declare his 8 there after all & has already left :o Will be interesting to see if the race turns stormy again as they are talking about storms along the coast. In my area of MN they are talking about a big snowfall this weekend anywhere from 6-12 inches so maybe this system as it works it's way south?! Tired of shoveling but always kind of exciting when the big storms hit :D
Dogs...What they lack in manners, they make up for in Sincerity!
Di*

Next

Return to Mushing Talk