Kaltag to Koyuk

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Kaltag to Shaktoolik

Postby emwcee » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:15 pm

Eeek. Now Nic is stopped at the same area where he got lost last year. And I've got to try to sleep!
emwcee

Postby Frozen Chosen » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:22 pm

emwcee wrote:Eeek. Now Nic is stopped at the same area where he got lost last year. And I've got to try to sleep

Ok Em, your getting me excited too n i dont have tracker, so youll have to mc me thru this! Dont go to sleep yet, Grill! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Postby tanglefoot » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:34 am

Nics been stopped a long time on the peninsula outsode shak, wonder whats going on? Seems to have some traouble getting across the ice to there. Bad ice or leaders not liking the trail?
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby tanglefoot » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:35 am

Pete k has just pulled the hook at shak
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby txbennett » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:05 am

Nic does not like to "rest" in check points. He probably chose to rest at the cabin on the point. From there he may be able to see the chase pack coming and leave before they arrive with a rested team to move to and through Koyuk. Breaking trail on the new overland trail to Koyuk may be a challenge.
txbennett

Postby mira » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:54 am

Sure, but Nicolas has stopped on the ice not on the land... it was later on the trail he took the wrong turn last year, but it's sea and ice. Perhaps he is not sure about the trail and wants to wait for the other? It is dark.

Peter is still on land, having good speed, three miles behind Nicolas.
mira

Postby mira » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:01 am

Rewinded, Nicolas tracker blipped between orange and green, probably walking speed? Then it stopped at 10pm, and hasn't moved since. That's 5 hours ago now.

Peter and Joar both rested for 3.5 hours (some minutes more). Peter are two miles behind Nicolas, he just hit the ice. Will be looking at his tracker to see how it goes. Joar is four miles behind. No other has left Shaktoolik, Jessie Holmes and Aliy is on trail between Unalakleet and Shaktoolik.
mira

Re: Kaltag to Koyuk

Postby mira » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:08 am

I added Koyuk in this topic, since most mushers take a rest there.

Peter is on the ice, going at 8.2 mph
mira

Postby mira » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:23 am

...and Peter has passed Nicolas. If he stopped, it wasn't for long. Nicolas is still resting.

Joar is four miles behind, will soon enter the ice.

Jessie has left Shaktoolik. I looked at the dog numbers, Jessie R, Aliy and Paige all have 12 dogs. Jessie H have 11 dogs, the rest of top ten have 9 or 10.
mira

Postby mira » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:23 am

Looking at the front teams crossing the sea ice. Be aware that the mileage on the GPS tracker is probably wrong, I guess there are still 5 miles behind between Joar and Peter. I guess they people responsible for the GPS map will fix the blue route and then it will be corret. I think they use some kind of snap-to-route to show how many miles and when they are way off the route (as they are now) the data is wrong.
mira

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk