What’s happening with Nic Petit???

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: What’s happening with Nic Petit???

Postby fladogfan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:57 am

Nic's tracker says he is stopped at the point of land.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Heidi » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:23 am

Looking forward to hearing the details from Nic. Glad they're moving.

Now I need to get moving! :lol:
Heidi

Postby RAIMIS2 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:35 am

Has to be tough to lose a lead so "close"-ish to the end. I hope all his dogs are OK.

The Insider GPS tracker hasn't updated for me in about 30 minutes.....shows Kaiser at mile 803 and moving for about that long..I tried refreshing,... anyone else?
RAIMIS2

Postby mira » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:42 am

RAIMIS2 wrote:Has to be tough to lose a lead so "close"-ish to the end. I hope all his dogs are OK.

The Insider GPS tracker hasn't updated for me in about 30 minutes.....shows Kaiser at mile 803 and moving for about that long..I tried refreshing,... anyone else?

Look in the Kaltag-Koyuk topic, I guess it's because they use snap-to-route and they are way off route. So it seems his mile is not updating. Same with Joar.
mira

Postby dashdel » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:03 am

Posted by Sebastian Schnuelle
Date: March 11, 2019 5:59 am

Good morning form Unalakleet. It has been a busy night here with Teams coming and going all night. Night snow is still falling off and on. NO WIND. VERY NICE!!!! Jeff King was the latest to arrive, with a very animated team. Parking is at a premium here, and Jeff took it in stride, being parked a bit further away from the checkpoint as usual. Tireless volunteers are up all hours of the night to rake straw of freshly departed teams. Travis Beals is en route to Shaktoolik, closely followed by Ryan Redington. Inside the checkpoint building things have quieted down considerably. Time for cleanup…. And making more bacon.

Last night Nicolas Petit stopped short before the shelter cabin outside of Shaktoolik and has since reached the cabin. He has been checked on and since has been passed by the chase pack. We have a new race leader: Kusko Champion Pete Kaiser is leading the pack, followed by current Iditarod Champion Joar Leifseth Ulsom and Jessie Royer. I am sure all 3 of them were as much surprised to pass Nicolas as us on the screens.
dashdel

Postby Another UK Fan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:30 am

Thanks dash.

What does 'he has been checked on' mean? Have the ITC made a trip out there? Have the passing mushers stopped by and relayed info to ITC?

Trying to get a clear picture on this and failing. Any thoughts on decoding this?
Another UK Fan

Postby Another UK Fan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:46 am

ktuu has a piece following the Nic story and ends with the words 'This is a developing story and will be updated.'

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Idita ... 79591.html
Another UK Fan

Postby Frozen Chosen » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:51 am

Another UK Fan wrote:

What does 'he has been checked on' mean? Have the ITC made a trip out there? Have the passing mushers stopped by and relayed info to ITC?

Trying to get a clear picture on this and failing. Any thoughts on decoding this?

Another UK, While rural Ak is remote, there is alot of traveling between neighboring villages. The Norton Sound communities from Elim-Koyuk-Shaktoolik are all closely related to each other kinship wise. Wtn Mtn- Golovin ppl are related and also have relations toward Elim-Unalakleet. Unalakleet ppl are related to many communities from St. Michael all the way up to Nome-Teller...

So, other than ITC official traffic, there are also tour groups of fans that hire locals to take them out by snomachine to watch the race very up close. Many many ppl are on the trail from Kaltag to Nome at this time of year...
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Postby Another UK Fan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:00 am

Aha! Thank for the info Frozen. Amazing how local knowledge can help shed light. I had no idea. Thanks for sharing that.
Another UK Fan

Postby Frozen Chosen » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:01 am

In my mind, Petit has crashed! Both he and his team. He was not there all mentally the other day. I think the pressure of staying ahead of the chase teams wore him good. Plus, he has this mental thing about this area he stopped at. Maybe he slowed down to ensure that he wouldnt lose the trail again, plus the pressure put on him. He ran his team down good...just my thoughts...
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk