Koyuk to Elim: This is a critical run.....and White Mountain

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Koyuk to Elim: This is a critical run.....and White Mountain

Postby Frozen Chosen » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:48 pm

This leg can be a deciding factor sometimes as we saw when Lance snuck out on King several years ago at the Elim checkpoint. This run may go over land to a place called Moses Point, which is almost halfway between the checkpoints. Moses Point has several subsistence fish camps that are utilized mainly by the Elim people in the summer months. From Moses Point, go along the coast to Elim. there is a road from the point to Elim I believe...
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Re: Koyuk to Elim: This is a critical run...

Postby dashdel » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:58 pm

Agree Froze but you know as well as well i do , if the blow hole is a blowing ( ie; king) it still can be exciting.. Oh another one in 91 when Swenson won his 5th (6th really)....
dashdel

Postby mamamia » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:10 pm

Nic will not be the first to be hung out to dry at this cabin by their dogs.
:lol: I love this! Perfectly said!
mamamia

Postby fladogfan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:22 pm

Any news about Mitch's tracker? It's stopped at mile 803 and has been there for a few hours now.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby mamamia » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:25 pm

This just popped up on my fb feed, by Danny Seavey 3 hours ago,
Mitch is fine, dogs needed a camp. Not good spot but has food.
. It's a bit worrisome since he rested nearly 5 hours in Shak. But he just waved Jessie and Aliy on by so he must be ok so far. Still, you cant believe anything the tracker says since his SPOT hasn't updated in 3 hours. I suspect we will have to wait for Aliy and Jessie to get to Koyuk to find out what is going on,
mamamia

Postby COHusky » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Does anyone with Insider know what Sebastian Schnuelle's role is. In reading his posts he has been involved with setting up checkpoints.
Is he doing this in an official capacity with the race? Or just helping out? Anyone know?
COHusky

Postby Breeze » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:38 pm

COHusky wrote:Does anyone with Insider know what Sebastian Schnuelle's role is. In reading his posts he has been involved with setting up checkpoints.
Is he doing this in an official capacity with the race? Or just helping out? Anyone know?

Seb is a race judge, a job he did last year also. The ITC moves him around because he knows what the heck needs to be done in the Checkpoints so the mushers can do what they need to do on their individual schedules.
Breeze

Postby COHusky » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:43 pm

copy that
thank you breeze
COHusky

Postby Frozen Chosen » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:02 pm

dashdel wrote:Agree Froze but you know as well as well i do , if the blow hole is a blowing ( ie; king) it still can be exciting.. Oh another one in 91 when Swenson won his 5th (6th really)....

Yep Dash, what I love about the Northern Bering Sea Coast are the blowholes, and there are several more further up from Nome toward the Cape Prince of Wales and beyond. These natural phenomenon have stopped many on their tracks (these Idit racers are only a small percentage), and even caused serious frostbite, hypothermia, and yes, death. So far, the Idit and Quest have been fortunate, with the loss being First to Cross the Burled Arch in the Gold Rush Town...
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Postby Another UK Fan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:27 pm

top ten current gps positions

Musher / mile / run or rest / last updated

Pete 844 Run 13 mins
Joar 838 Run 07 mins
Jessie R 828 Run 10 mins

Koyuk cp 827

Jessie H 805 Run 17 mins
Aliy 805 Run 6 mins

Mitch 803 Run 6 mins

Matt H 800 Run 11 mins
Travis B 800 Run 06 mins