We Want Your Ideas About Patch project

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

We Want Your Ideas About Patch project

Postby fladogfan » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:23 pm

Hi my favorite Iditabuds, yep, that is all of you or as we say down here, all y'all :D

We the mods have a question for you.
Are you interested in keeping the patches going for each passing checkpoint? OR should we do one more patch in honor of Nome and call it quits?

We want to have everyone's input please. Even if you do not purchase a patch yearly.

Thank you and here's to a great race season!

fladogfan
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Re: We Want Your Ideas About Patch project

Postby txbennett » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:41 am

My experience is that our patches have been great, but they have not been enthusiastically supported. The support seems to have diminished in recent races. Few "ideas" have been presented and few Iditabuds have "voted" for a choice. To produce a patch requires a lot of lead time in a period when our forum is mostly dark while the buds wait for the next race.

I suggest let's ask sc-race-fan to please design us one more patch, produce it and offer it to our buds as our final patch -- honoring Nome. The Moderators can offer comments on the design and then approve it without going through a cumbersome approval and selection process with few participants.

Just my opinion.

TXbennett
txbennett

Postby braider » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:06 am

Does one more even need to be done? While I have each of the patches that have been made ...it doesn't matter to me what decision even a few people make. ...Dave
braider

Location: Bemidji, Minnesota - the first city on the Mississippi River

Postby StarDancer » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:22 pm

I LOVE the patches and order at least one every year. I understand that interest might be waning, and that it's a lot of work to get the patches designed and made.

I think we should have at least two more. We should at least do one for the Iditarod checkpoint, and then could finish with a Nome checkpoint patch.

I think we should also do one for Unalakleet...

StarDancer
StarDancer

Postby fladogfan » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:46 am

Thank you for your ideas.

Personally I like the idea of keeping on doing the patches every year. But it shouldn't be one or two people doing the labor.

sc-race-fan has done most of it theses past years.
fladogfan

Postby flowerpower » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:43 am

I'm very torn about this. I love the patches, but it is a lot of work to only send out a few-not withstanding those that we have donated. Perhaps we could do one final that included Iditarod to Nome? Like a race map? I'm not an artist by any means, just throwing out suggestions. I do hate to totally skip the Iditarod checkpoint. :(
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby txbennett » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:02 am

What FlowerPower said. I like it! sc-race-fan (or another volunteer) are you up to designing and supervising production of an "Iditarod-to-Nome" 2020 "final" patch -- perhaps also including showing Unalakleet on the coast for StarDancer?

:D :D :D :D

TXbennett
txbennett

Postby fladogfan » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:07 am

Maybe make it a big patch! Show all the remaining checkpoints. Like a map.
fladogfan

Postby DogDude » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:04 pm

As far as sales, I'd say your market is too small. Patches are not everyone's cup of tea.
Perhaps there's a better way to generate funds. I'm assuming you use the money to help with the costs of hosting the Forum.
I personally don't have an interest in patches, so there's probably not any design that would induce me to buy one.
It's like bow ties. If you like them, have at it.. But I would wear one on a bet.

DD
DogDude

Postby txbennett » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:02 am

Hi Dog Dude !!!! Thanks for your input. I too have never bought a patch, although I have participated in the design process.

I think "keep it simple" I believe in 2020 they run the Northern Route and do not even go to and through Iditarod, so it's all symbolic anyway. I believe a BIG patch showing all checkpoints by name would not be practical. Irod then Unk then Nome might work but not much else.

TXbennett
txbennett

Next

Return to Mushing Talk