We Want Your Ideas About Patch project

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: We Want Your Ideas About Patch project

Postby fladogfan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:44 pm

OK 'buds, the contest is open so send your ideas along in a pm to emwcee. Including the ones that have been mentioned in this thread.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby sc-race-fan » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:15 am

Hi ya'll. For some reason, I'm not getting forum notices of new messages in my email account, and just happened to log in here today. It might be better to email me (brent.a.garvin@gmail.com) as I do check my email daily.

To answer a few questions, I would be in favor of one more patch. the last ones honoring various folks connected with the race and the forum donation 50 patches to each of them received no response. That means we have sold less than 50 patches a year, for a number of years. I am not willing to design another patch, and to work with the patch company as it is a somewhat time sensitive process. Total Knee replacement surgery is a few weeks away, (trying to keep up with Moose!) and yes I'm becoming bionic as Shoulder replacement was a year ago! I will be glad to pass on contact information on the company we have used in past years. As far as forum money in my possession, I have maintained the money from paypal patch payments for the past patches, and I have a little over $550.00 in the paypal account.
I will try to check back here and vote.
Brent
Proud PaPa of the triplet litter; Aidan (B), Bailey (G), and Cameron (B). Cameron is on top in picture; Bailey, of course, is the bowhead!!
sc-race-fan

Location: formerly Columbia, South Carolina, now residing in Mooresville, North Carolina

Postby fladogfan » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:42 am

Brent, check to see if the notices are going to your spam list.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:53 pm

Txbennett:
We need active participation for the Iditabuds.com/forum to survive. We are no longer a "sole source" for information.

I agree Tx. But I also think this is something that should have been addressed much sooner. I think, unfortunately, it is a question of too little, too late now. The quest to keep members interested all year long was one that, for some reason, fell by the wayside. It should have been a priority all along. I myself cannot see why it wasn't.

One can understand that people now can go direct to a mushers page on social media, and several other race sites for information. BUT the idea of coming to our forum for not only information, but also fun, games, trivia, prizes and most importantly, camaraderie all year long, and not just in February and March, was the ultimate goal we have tragically lost sight of! The result is that these other sources, instead of being used in conjunction to our forum, are now used instead of. We have sadly become a typical month or two race forum, the very thing we wanted to avoid when this forum was started by John and kids after Cabela's. That's very disheartening.
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby flowerpower » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:20 am

I think we all have to take some responsibility for interest falling off. I know a few faithful tried very hard to keep the monthly chat and contest going, but even after reminders, etc. only a couple of people-if that-would show up. And I'm guilty of not showing up, despite reminders. And same with the patches-only a faithful few following up with design, working with the patch company, and getting them mailed out before the race. As you probably know, I've been the mailer for awhile now, and have seen the interest dwindle. I also have a large box of unsold patches stored in my garage. :( I don't think the responsibility all lies with the mods-they have done a good job sending out emails, asking for input, etc. If we want to keep going we need to submit ideas and participate enthusiastically. :)
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby Marlyn » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:18 am

I think one last patch and I like FP's idea of an Iditarod to Nome theme. Iditarod because that's the name of the race and Nome because all roads lead to Nome. I have several of the patches and I definitely will buy this last one. Thanks to all of you who work so hard on keeping the group going. Marlyn
Marlyn, formerly MarinOhio
Marlyn

Postby JerseyGirl » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:45 am

Hello Iditabuds,
I have really enjoyed the creative patches that have been produced for us over the years! I extend my thanks to all who have worked to bring them to completion, and then to distribute them to us!
I am glad that we will continue long enough to include and honor all remaining checkpoints in the race, as these residents and volunteers are so important to the support of the mushers caring for their dogs.
As our iditabuds look forward to this year’s race, I continue to look forward to our creative patches (however many remain), and hope for great trail conditions and a safe race along the trail. Thanks to our admins for helping us to follow the race and interpret the happenings along the trail over the years! Our understanding of the race has come a long way, starting with those awesome interviews John’s BSSD students conducted and the frustrating dial up internet days, to today’s instantaneous coverage. It is fitting that our patches, in this consolidated manner, will complete our journey to Nome.
Mush on!
JerseyGirl
JerseyGirl

Location: New Jersey in my heart, Tennessee with our grandchildren

Postby tanglefoot » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:51 pm

I hate to say it but i think we have all gotten older over the years, i was 25 i think when i first joined all those years ago. Now 47.
We have lost a few folks along the trail and it’s a fact that younger audiences use facebook nower days and not forums like ours. Getting them interested in mushing not just the iditarod is hard enough, junior mushers entries are down across the sport sadly.
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Heidi » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:18 am

emwcee wrote:As I recall, part of the motivation for doing the patch was to raise money for BSSD, who was sponsoring our forum at the time. Since they are no longer sponsoring the forum, what are we doing with the profits now?

Scracefan wrote in an earlier post that he has a little over $550 in the PayPal account. I think Libby has ~$500 (from checks/money orders?). So am I correct in assuming the forum has about $1050 total??? (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

I understand some money (not sure how much) will go to a musher/kennel chosen by the Top Ten winner, am I right?

Maybe a thread should be started to get ideas about what to do with the money. Then a poll could be done here and people can vote anonymously. (Those are easy to set up and they're good for engaging forum members.)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

JUST A REMINDER: Get your patch designs in now!!! Only got a week left. http://www.iditabuds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3550
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Heidi

Postby braider » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:30 pm

More and more, this is sounding to me like the downfall of our forum. Not being on Facebook, Twitter, etc. I am very sad about that because it has always been the/my best place to get the best info about the race. I thank you all for what has been. ...Dave
braider

Location: Bemidji, Minnesota - the first city on the Mississippi River

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk