We Want Your Ideas About Patch project

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: We Want Your Ideas About Patch project

Postby sugarriver » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:10 pm

I’d like to suggest an idea. Let’s incorporate the Northern and Southern Route into the patch this year. The major checkpoints could be delineated as dots with Iditarod labeled and the patch could possibly be the shape of the route. Since we did Ophir last year, it would make sense to go to Kaltag on one patch. My idea would include the shape of the route. This would take care of a whole section of checkpoints. Then we could put some real time and thought into one or two final patches the next year or two, depending on interest and participation. I’d like to see everyone get a chance at submitting designs and or ideas given this as a starting point. Maybe we would get three or four sketches to vote on. I would hate to see a ‘final’ patch this year. Seems rushed. i think Nome would be a great last patch since Anchorage was the first. That would mean the points from Unalakleet to Safety next year and Nome in 2021 as the big finale. Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
How do you tell the difference between a plumber and a chemist? Ask them to pronounce unionized. -
sugarriver

Postby Heidi » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:16 pm

sugarriver wrote:Let’s incorporate the Northern and Southern Route into the patch this year. The major checkpoints could be delineated as dots with Iditarod labeled and the patch could possibly be the shape of the route.

I really LOVE this idea, SR! :) That would instantly take care of the Iditarod, Shageluk, Anvik, Grayling, Eagle Island, Cripple, Ruby, Galena, Nulato and Kaltag checkpoints in one fell swoop - but a COOL "fell swoop"! I agree, no need to label anything other than Iditarod. The dots could take of the rest. Then next year we could do Unk to Nome as the final patch (or split that up if interest is there). I think I just repeated what you wrote, lol! Oh, one other thing, for the sake of consistency, I think we should stick with a 4" patch.

sugarriver wrote:I’d like to see everyone get a chance at submitting designs and or ideas given this as a starting point. Maybe we would get three or four sketches to vote on.

I completely agree. It may be tough to get three or four submissions, but if people see we're ending the patch project they may be motivated to throw their hat ...er, patch in the ring???

sugarriver wrote:I would hate to see a ‘final’ patch this year. Seems rushed.

If it has to be the last patch, fine, but I agree that I hope it isn't. Your idea is the first one that excited me.
Heidi

Postby Moose » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:59 pm

I'm hoping this isn't the last year. I know it's a burden for the same people year after year and I apologize for backing away. I do love the patches. It was a great idea and seemed to generate fun. I never wear them, but purchase one or more every year.

I like the idea of a map patch covering a number of checkpoints, but whatever is decided, I think it would be nice to commemorate Unalakleet in some special way as that's where this forum was born, thanks to JohnCN and the BSSD.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby txbennett » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:37 am

I really, really like sugarriver's idea :!: :!: :!: -- perhaps this year Ophir to Unalakleet then next year Unalakleet to Nome -- giving us two patches to honor our "sponsor" checkpoint Unalakleet, home town of BSSD headquarters. Perhaps this year we could mention BSSD inside the paths on the map and their student broadcast team and contribute some patches to BSSD for the Team.

:D :D :D
txbennett

Postby fladogfan » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:33 am

I also like your idea sugarriver. Including Unalakleet on both patches would honor and recognize their part in the Iditabuds even existing. The years when the BSSD SBT was active with the race were some of the best for me. Loved the kids interviews with the mushers and the patience of the mushers with the kids.

Doing the patches is fun and trying, some years more than others and I hate stopping them. But if we don't go cold turkey I'll be all right. (I would need to live into my 90s to get all the patches to Nome :lol: )

Now to think of an idea for this years patch...... :?
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:17 am

Time was when our forum had several members who stayed on all year long making suggestions and planning things to keep the forum vital and other members interested. I think that effort to keep members looking in all year round to see what was going on, because something usually was, is what made us so different from all other basic Iditarod sites. Alas, without that, the days of monthly member hosted competitive trivia, our annual live prizes and awards chat (which was one of my favorite things), and our member solicited ask the musher segments have fallen by the wayside. Our monthly chat and even our poem and song parody section has fallen victim.

I guess the patches have suffered similarly.
The idea when patches were started was for members to submit ideas, the other members vote, and the winner would be the person who worked via email with the patch company to make the patch look as much as their idea as possible, submitting to the forum the various designs the patch company sent for discussion and final vote. Not certain how it became one or two people doing the labor, and it's sad it has come to that. There were also good ideas for using funds generated as inducement to keep members coming to the forum year round by obtaining prizes for poem and song parodies, year end awards, and even some high end ones including bidding on signed musher bibs following a race (some which could be won for $100), which would be given as a Grand Trivia Prize. These, however, never came to fruition for some reason.

I hate the idea of having gone so far along the trail with the patches, just to have it stop short of it's intended goal. But in my opinion, without interest, what's the point? Two patches comprising the remaining checkpoints to Nome is a good idea, and I do like the idea somebody mentioned earlier about maybe having a giant patch with all the checkpoints as a final patch. One that would go on the back of a jacket. I have a jacket with all the Apollo mission emblems on one large patch on the back. It looks great and is a conversation piece. Ultimately though, it's a question of interest.
Last edited by MelanieGouldFanBrian on Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby Heidi » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:20 am

Screen Shot 2019-10-27 at 9.43.00 AM.jpg

Please sign in to see the photo I attached. See the dotted line.

I confirmed with SR and this here is her idea. Unk doesn't fall in the "loop", so it would be included on next year's (final?) patch as an Unk to Nome patch. It would be nice to have Unk as the FIRST checkpoint on the final patch, making it that much more special. It would look rather strange to include it here if we just do the loop as she suggested. I also like her idea of using the outline of the "loop" as the border of the patch giving more room for key features along the route. Her idea of only labeling the checkpoint of Iditarod (delineating the others by dots) is nice too, making this a true IDITAROD patch in every sense, yet still "showing" the other checkpoints in the loop (by dots).

If designers know they must work within the confines of the "loop" we could probably get the design process moving quickly and have it so all submissions must be in within the week or two and then have a short voting timeframe. Submitted designs do not need to be perfect. Just shorten everything up and cross-post on facebook (I can do that.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heidi

Postby JeanieB » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:47 am

I think I most agree with Flower-Power. I love my patches and have saved one of each to make a quilt. Actually,, one for every checkpoint would make a huge quilt :D . I agree that it is a lot of work and expense for a few of you dedicated Buds. I would love to have a Home one to round out the set, but am ok with stopping here. I love you all, though I will admit to communicating much more on Facebook than forum. Thanks FDF, and all who have kept the patch progression going.
Much on,
JeanieB
"When women reach a certain age, they begin to collect dogs. This is known as "Many - Paws""
JeanieB

Postby fladogfan » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:19 pm

JB that would also be Brent aka sc-race-fan, Candy- forum name escaping me, and flowerpower. those are main ones but txbennet in there also.

A quilt sounds nice.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Heidi » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:44 pm

MelanieGouldFanBrian wrote:But in my opinion, without interest, what's the point?

I agree. I'm totally okay with not doing anymore patches. I liked SR's idea, but without a broader interest in doing one or two more patches, like you said, WHAT'S THE POINT? :?

JeanieB wrote:I love my patches and have saved one of each to make a quilt.

I've heard that idea thrown around by several people here. If any of you artsy types make one, please share photos of the end result!! 8-)

JeanieB wrote:I agree that it is a lot of work and expense for a few of you dedicated Buds.

I saw this and wanted to address it. No one should be spending their own money (time, yes; money, no) on anything patch-related. The forum has plenty of money in the kitty (for the sake of transparency, the amount really should be posted annually). I once purchased a bunch of prizes for trivia, but that was of my own choosing. There is no need for anyone to spend their own money on patch-related expenses. ALL expenses should be reimbursed as the money is there.
Heidi

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk