The Great Alaskan Race---a movie

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

The Great Alaskan Race---a movie

Postby fladogfan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:24 am

I got a notice about this movie from ITC. Clicked on the listing of theaters showing it, not thinking the closest one would be the theater we usually go to, only a couple miles away from us.

The movie is about the epidemic in Nome and the brave dogs and mushers who got the serum to Nome in time to save most of the children.
How true to life it is, I don't know. But it is a good telling of the story and gives credit to Sep and Togo, not just Balto.

What was distressing was the fact that Bill and I were the only people in the theater. It was a 4:30pm showing and this is tourist area, but I saw no ads about this movie showing in our area. In fact, if the ITC hadn't sent a notice about it I would have missed it completely. I was so pleased and surprised when I clicked on the list of theaters showing it to find several in Florida area and the closest theater to us on the list!!

I found this on face book and don't know if it will work for you, but anyway here you go.

https://www.facebook.com/TheGreatAlaska ... f=mentions
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Re: The Great Alaskan Race---a movie

Postby emwcee » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:49 am

I saw the movie last night. I was also sad that there were only a few people in theater, especially since it was the $5 Tuesday show. I enjoyed it a lot, and I thought it told the story well. Yeah, there were a few poetic liberties, but that's to be expected. I hope everyone has a chance to see it.
emwcee

Postby fladogfan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:57 am

I tried to catch who the dogs belonged to on the credits list. Was unable to see that or to see who was doing the actual driving of the teams.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby tanglefoot » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:44 pm

Waiting for it to come out here in the UK, hopefully it will and wont straight to dvd or amazon. Be nice to see it in the cinema
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Return to Mushing Talk