Where does everyone sleep?

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Where does everyone sleep?

Postby Moose » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:54 am

With 81 teams now in or on the road to Nome, with all their handlers and family members, not to mention many, many fans, the press, film makers and miscellaneous others all converging on Nome, one wonders--well, I wonder, where does everyone sleep? ;)
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Re: Where does everyone sleep?

Postby fladogfan » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:03 am

Good question, Moose. Some of the residents of Nome take in mushers, think it was Jeff King thanking last year the family who hosts him and his Mrs.
But 81 plus :shock: :shock: that's a lot of beds to find. Wonder if there is any camping? What with the really good tents, sleeping bags, etc. I think(??) I could do that. OR the empty containers from ships--can they be used? If all hotel/motel/B&Bs are full.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby tanglefoot » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:23 am

alot of families host mushers and fans alike, some taking in the same people yer after year, it becomes from what ive heard a bit like an annual family gathering. i think the people of nome are amazing looking after and making so many people so welcome each year
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby RAIMIS2 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:17 pm

So if one were to plan a trip to see part of the Iditarod, going to Nome probably wouldn't be adviseable? Maybe just go to the start and restart and maybe get on a plane to some checkpoint and fly back to Anchorage the same day? Just wondering......maybe some day....
RAIMIS2

Return to Mushing Talk