Clean Your Computer, Tablet, Phone, etc.

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Clean Your Computer, Tablet, Phone, etc.

Postby txbennett » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:55 am

I get more attempted malware, etc. each year during race season. I just updated and ran all my virus, malware, cleaner software to prepare for the Quest. This is when I cannot resist clicking on unknown sites that might have another piece of information I may have missed.

TXbennett
txbennett

Re: Clean Your Computer, Tablet, Phone, etc.

Postby txbennett » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:30 am

I just did another full and complete cleaning with software updates to prepare for my forum-jumping through the internet during Iditarod!! Better safe than sorry. Each year my software picks up and blocks some malware as I jump around.

:!: :!: :!: :!:
txbennett

Postby RAIMIS2 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:32 am

This is very interesting. Yesterday I subscribed to Insider. Today my email inbox was barraged with various emails in various languages, most of them thanking me for or telling me to confirm my subscription to various newsletters or mailing lists. Hundreds. Not even in my spam folder. A plethora of subjects....none on mushing as far as I noticed, but I wonder if there's a correlation.
RAIMIS2

Postby braider » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:09 pm

Correct me if I am wrong. I think that every time you change the GPS it is added as a new page to your computers cache. Because of that, using Firefox, I went to a private window. I do that for other sites that do that as well.
braider

Location: Bemidji, Minnesota - the first city on the Mississippi River

Postby Di* » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:46 pm

RAIMIS2 wrote:This is very interesting. Yesterday I subscribed to Insider. Today my email inbox was barraged with various emails in various languages, most of them thanking me for or telling me to confirm my subscription to various newsletters or mailing lists. Hundreds. Not even in my spam folder. A plethora of subjects....none on mushing as far as I noticed, but I wonder if there's a correlation.

Hmm I'm subscribed to Insider, same as every year and haven't experienced anything like that. I use a Mac so maybe that is the difference? Sure enjoying the extra programs from QrillPaws! :D
Dogs...What they lack in manners, they make up for in Sincerity!
Di*

Re:

Postby RAIMIS2 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:37 am

Di* wrote:
RAIMIS2 wrote:This is very interesting. Yesterday I subscribed to Insider. Today my email inbox was barraged with various emails in various languages, most of them thanking me for or telling me to confirm my subscription to various newsletters or mailing lists. Hundreds. Not even in my spam folder. A plethora of subjects....none on mushing as far as I noticed, but I wonder if there's a correlation.

Hmm I'm subscribed to Insider, same as every year and haven't experienced anything like that. I use a Mac so maybe that is the difference? Sure enjoying the extra programs from QrillPaws! :D

I figured it out, sort of. Not related to Insider as far as I can tell.
I got hit with a "Subscription Bomb". Got my email barraged with a ton of "Thanks for subscribing to our newsletter - pls confirm" type emails. Hundreds. Thousands. Kept deleting/blocking/unsubscribing... saw one for a bogus amazon order.
I read that often a subscription bomb is hiding/masking something else. Sure enough, someone had hacked my amazon acct and ordered something. I did not initially see it because they even "archived" the purchase, but I found it. Had to contact my bank and amazon and changed password. (the assholes even went in later trying to change the password, which would have locked me out of my own acct! Glad I got to it first.) So, if this ever happens, look out and check your accounts.
RAIMIS2

Postby Di* » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:25 pm

YIKES!! :shock: that's terrible! Good thing you caught it before they spent any more!!
Dogs...What they lack in manners, they make up for in Sincerity!
Di*

Return to Mushing Talk