Good Morning Iditabuds

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Good Morning Iditabuds

Postby mira » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:59 am

fladogfan wrote:Just heardon QRILL that the Finnmark race in Norway has been canceled :shock: because of covid-19.

Yes, all sports events are cancelled in Norway and Finnmark race is under the Norwegian athlete assosiacting (I have noe idea of the English name, just making it up).

Moose, yes, it helps to be up north because we don't live as crowded as other people.. and because of that I think this will end fairly well. I think we have around 700 cases, but no deahts (yet). We had a bit of unluck with winter holidays, people travelling to the Alps for skiing, bringing the virus back home.

700 cases is far less than USA but we are only 5.000.000 people so when you compare cases per 1M population, we are third according to this list https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Enough of that.. now that FL is cancelled I can concentrate on Iditarod. Actually FL has been quite rough this year with several of the favourites scratched.
mira

Postby tanglefoot » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:46 am

news just in that the Norwegian Gov have stopped all sporting events and this includes Finmarkslopet mid race. so they have stopped all mushers in their check points or as they arrive and are sending them all home!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby fladogfan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:01 am

tanglefoot wrote:news just in that the Norwegian Gov have stopped all sporting events and this includes Finmarkslopet mid race. so they have stopped all mushers in their check points or as they arrive and are sending them all home!

What an ordeal that must be for all concerned. :( :(
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Moose » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:46 pm

Wow. And so disappointing for all concerned. Remember how the world literally came to a stop following 9/11? Pretty much the same thing happening now, but in a form of slow motion.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby tanglefoot » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:19 pm

i have friends out there working on the race, my race vet Sarah is currently sat in Oslo airport having been plucked off the trail and sent home :( such a shanme
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Another UK Fan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:45 am

Morning all. :D
Another UK Fan

Postby Another UK Fan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:59 am

Morning again - making arrangements to work from home . . . .think the dogs and cat will be happy to have us around more. Already fighting with cat for access to the keyboard :D

The dogs are a milling about . . . . the temptation to just take them out for another walk is huge. Working from home is going to demand a whole new discipline set to deal with this most delightful distraction!

And of course, the Iditarod is on - biggest distraction ever . . . . :lol:
Another UK Fan

Postby fladogfan » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:42 am

We, who follow the Iditarod, are blessed with time to follow our passion. Guess that is our silver lining. All the pets will be enjoying the extra attention too. Weird to have no church today, guess where I will be spending time?

Good morning Iditabuds.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby mira » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:11 am

Good morning!

Then you have even more time to look at the dogs :)
mira

Postby Another UK Fan » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:20 am

Morning all! :D
Another UK Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk