Rachael scratched??

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Rachael scratched??

Postby boo » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:10 am

In looking at the team and who had been dropped, the only leaders she had just became leaders this year :shock: and leading on sea ice is like being on another planet!! People think, oh, they've been over sea ice going into Koyuk, they can follow Joe even if it is new to them and do fine. But leading is so very very different from being in the team....the only thing I can sort of equate it to is being a passenger in a car and driving in a strange place....low stress, you don't really pay that close of attention to how you get there, etc. A team dog isn't looking around and 'learning' how to lead on sea ice when they aren't in front...they are just motoring along, brain much more in neutral. So being asked to now lead in what suddenly looks like the moon, someone in front or not.....whoa!!!! Twisty, bumpy, low-sight-distance running through trees....fun, exciting, easier. Leading on sea ice----mind numbing nothingness, vertigo, takes a different mind set.
boo
boo

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:12 am

She made the right decision. Must have been a tough call for her though :(
I wonder why there's nothing official on the site?
We are all proud of you Rachael :D ;)

Brian
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby fladogfan » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:14 am

Thanks for explanation boo. Sorry it happened, but best for dogs.
Looking forward to next run and who will be eyes.
Keep on mushing Joe.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby mithious » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:02 am

Oh goodness...Soooooo sorry to hear you had to scratch Rachael......as always....you do the right thing for your team.....what a hard descision to have to make especially being so close....I'm crying for you.....Boo...sooooo sorry to hear this....like you said, have a good cry then plan for next year.......sniffle....we love you all....!!!!!!!
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby Moose » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:20 am

While Rach may be feeling disappointed, Boo, you make sure she knows the outcome here wasn't at all disappointing to her huge fan base. She's an inspiration and does herself proud. You go, Girl!! And, hey, she's got me thinking, "If Rach can run this race and do so well with her vision challenges, maybe I can run this race despite being age-challenged!! :D

Good on ya, Rach, and skritches to the team. 8-)
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby boo » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:37 am

Thanks moose....yeah, I think like that all the time....NOT about running this race, but other challenges in life...."Would Rach quit.....heck NO! Keep trying...." sort of thing. She inspires me all the time.....
boo
boo

Postby Breeze » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:59 pm

Well, DANG IT!

I guess thats about all one can say. Good decision on Rach's part, she's safe and the dogs are safe and that IS all good.

Sorry Boo, I know the disappointment is there, but "spinning the paws" just doesn't make trail.

We love her to pieces and give her a huge thumbs up for the wisdom and good judgment.

Breeze
Breeze

Postby tanglefoot » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:21 pm

shes inspired me over the years as a musher who has 20 20 vision..i think that might be a little off after 2 weeks following the irod haha

but if this fantastic musher, with limited eye sight can get herself to nome...then what have i to winge about!!

you rock rach!!

yeah team rach runyan go go go ! joe im sure is taking both their hearts to nome even as one part of the team....fantasssssssssssstic! go rach go joe!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby aren » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:32 pm

So sorry to hear that Rachel had to scratch. She is indeed an inspiration to us all. I's also obvious that she is a very wise girl who takes the right decisions. She had a goal set out for herself, but when she has to make this difficult decision she put the vellbeing of her team before her own ambition. I am impressed by her in every way. Hope you will be back next year Rachel :) :) :)
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk