Rohn-Nikolai-McGrath-Takotna-Ophir

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Rohn-Nikolai-McGrath-Takotna-Ophir

Postby mira » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:49 am

Apparantly 13 mushers have left Rohn, Richie, Peter and Lance rested for ~4 hours, the rest of them went through.

Currently Thomas Wærner is in front with Joar close behind, Thomas left Rohn 20 minutes before Joar. Jessie Royer left 30 minutes behind Joar. Jessie is 5 miles behind Joar on the tracker, suggesting they have kept their positions since they left Rohn.

The standings does not have Aliy through Rohn, but on the tracker she is four miles past Rohn. On the other hand, Lance and Michelle appears to have stopped just a mile out of Rohn, which seems to be a bit weird since Lance stayed for four hours in Rohn.

Thomas might have stopped close to the airstrip/lake area (farewell lake/tin creek) which I think is quite popular for camping. But if he stay for a while or just snack I don't know. I don't have time to rewind to check how fas he has gone right now.
mira

Re: Rohn-Nikolai-McGrath-Takotna-Ophir

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:58 am

so Richie was first to Nikolai... but as far as I can work out, he's only resting a max of 3.5 hours at each stop. Cashing in on his youth? In order to get to Nik in first place, his last rest was only 2 hours. But also take into consideration he's doing relatively short runs of ~3.5 - 4 hours.

Compared to Jessie Royer, who got there only 20 minutes later - she's rested 4 times to Richie's 5 - more than one way to skin a cat.

Here's the analytics for both:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:20 pm

Oh, and Heister and Bruce did a short piece from Nik last night. They said it was pretty warm in RP during the day, but that temps had dropped since then to maybe -20°F and that the trail should set up really nice because of that.
elsietee

Postby mira » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:06 pm

Oh, that is nice for the pack! Thanks for the comments elsietee
mira

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:30 pm

Heister and Bruce in Nik this afternoon:

Bruce likes Jessie (really really impressed with team, speeds, Jessie's outlook), Brent (team looks good), Travis (team leaving Nik looked good), Paige (run times - esp considering she started last so she's actually ahead of some team)s, and Richie's (has a few lil' issues) teams.

He says Pete and Wade have some struggles (Pete has females in heat, Wade needs sleep).

Teams to watch are Joar and Ramey Smyth - both are chatty and happy, which makes him think that they are feeling good about their teams.

Cold snap should be done with by tomorrow and it'll warm up a bit again. There was big winds going through Rainy Pass for some (Jessie mentioned the wind howling).

Mille said the moon was absolutely gorgeous last night - that if she died right then, she'd die happy. And then she fell through some ice and got wet, as did her dogs, and the other mushers were "less than helpful", so she said it didn't go so well then.

Sounds like Pete had to carry a dog over to Nik - said it didn't help his team going over the hills. He's down to 12 dogs now. He said his males haven't been eating well for 200 miles because of the females in heat, and they're starting to show it now, but he couldn't leave the girls at home because they are his "good front end dogs".
elsietee

Postby fladogfan » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:43 am

Thanks elsietee for your comments. What are your thoughts on the ITC tracker this year? I would like the mile info to have the tenths on it also.
But thanks to you I can use and understand what is there.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby elsietee » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:45 am

elsietee

Postby flowerpower » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:42 am

:( :( Yeah, I knew something had gone wrong with Nic. He was way back last night. Too bad, he's had really rotten luck. :( :(

It’s not the news I want to share, but alas it is what it is. I just got off the phone with Nic and he is scratching in Nikolai. Everyone is ok. There was an array of bad luck since before the race took off...stuck in the driveway, forgotten parka...it seemed to continue onto the trail. Many small things and a number of bigger things- 3 dogs got frostbite on the pass, lots of puking and Nic had a bad crash that has left him dinged up. I will share more after we have all slept, but for now just wanted to say how much we appreciate everyone who has ever cheered for or supported this incredible dog team. All we can ever do in this life is move forward no matter how many times we get kicked down. It’s disappointing, but dog racing is after all, temporary fun, the health of the dogs is forever. Nic will ALWAYS put the dogs first.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby flowerpower » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:52 am

Anyone have any word on Quince? He's been in Rohn a LONG time.... :( :( Oops....he headed out as I was typing. Go Quince!!!
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby flowerpower » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:57 am

Looks like Sass, Beals and Mackey are on to Ophir.
flowerpower

Next

Return to Mushing Talk