COVID 19 and Nome Activites

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: COVID 19 and Nome Activites

Postby txbennett » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:28 am

We don't got none. We don't want none! Don't bring your germs into my house.

The mushers and most handlers are not likely to spread the virus since they have been focused on training and then racing their dogs in mostly remote areas and not partying in large crowds. Fans from around the world create a different situation.

Nome has a Hospital with 18 beds -- not really set up to isolate and treat a crowd of patients at the same time. They cannot afford for even one or two residents to catch a rapidly spreading pandemic virus which might blossom after the visitors return home.
txbennett

Postby fladogfan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:01 am

You are so right tx. Fans are from all around the globe, the year some Iditabuds went we met a lady all the way from Australia. Then, we were from Maine, Virginia, west coast of USA and me from Florida.

Moose remember how sick Bullwinkle got? Poor guy was skinny to start with. I came down with the bug on my way home, it was not a nice one.

BTW the very big, very black head line in the local newspaper today isDISNEY WORLD CLOSING
Have not read the article yet but talked to a cast member while shopping and she said the hourly workers will be paid. I hope a lot of companies will do that also.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Moose » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:55 am

Reading the notice of finish celebration events being "postponed" (whatever that means) what came to mind was the enormous crowd at the finish banquet. That room was packed. People were sitting elbow to elbow, back to back. Once seated, it was near impossible to move. A veritable petri dish for the growth and spread of anything/everything from runny nose to ...well, to far worse. As unfortunate and as disappointing as it is, the postponement is a wise decision.

Yes, Bullwinkle was so sick with what people were calling the "Nome crud". So sick. It hit me like a brick the day we flew home. Our flights were full and I worried for everyone on those planes with me. I remember how sick we all were, Fdf. Thankfully, we all did recover.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Breeze » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:04 am

Gretchen, I did see the headlines about Disney World. I also remember that some years ago, Disney World ( California) was where a massive US/Canada measles outbreak started, all with contact from a single child visitor from Malaysia.

Has really nothing to do with the " disney " aspect, but certainly it is the " world" aspect which is applicable.

There is history about communicable disease transmission, if we are curious enough to look.
Breeze

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk