Up the coast (Kaltag - Koyuk)

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Up the coast (Kaltag - Koyuk)

Postby elsietee » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:45 am

Here you are. Thomas just arrived in Koyuk, and Jessie just passed the resting Brent:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby oddjob » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:56 am

Yes , Thomas is safe in Koyuk. Worst might be over now
oddjob

Postby elsietee » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:20 am

Interview with Thomas at Shak:

It was really warm to start with - dogs have a lot of fur, so we just go slowly. Interviewer comments that his dogs are a little larger. He says he likes larger dogs - says the trend for Iditarod is for smaller dogs for good trails, but his dogs are used to pulling. Wanted to do Norton Sound during the cool night, but then will have to go out in the "heat" again. The heat is a problem, but it's the same for everybody. His strategy is to use his lead to keep his dogs resting. He says he didn't plan to lead this much - that's a good thing. Rest on the dogs will always help - plus more food.

Then footage of the dogs coming into Koyuk - they look "trotty" - more like Jessie and Aaron's teams. They don't look bad - but don't have the same ridiculous energy we've seen at other checkpoints.

He says he had to break trail the whole way. Heavy going and you just go slow. Said he feels confident with his position, the other teams have to go slowly also.

And then it shows them trying to park the team and the dogs are back to high energy barking and wagging and lunging.

Bruce says it's foggy out on Norton Sound - he could only see two markers ahead. As Thomas was being parked, there was a pet dog in town and his leaders wanted to chase that dog instead of listening to Thomas' commands. Bruce says they picked up the pace once they got past the village store - he imagines they were just really bored out there in that white environment. For the first time, Thomas seems a little frazzled [not really, from the short footage, but maybe if you saw him for longer?] and the dogs had a little bit more distraction on them - not paying quite as much attention as previously.
elsietee

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:46 am

I´ve played around with the gps map. Mid-ice, Jessie seems to be just short of 4 hours behind Thomas. She left just over 4 hours. So she is having the same speed OR maybe being a bit faster.
Aaron is a bit slower than that.
Mmmmmm...... Unalakleet... DO'H!!!
SuldalsXpressen

Postby mira » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:58 am

When calculating distances I use 5-6-7 mph. Depending a bit for how long distances we are looking at. If they are long, I. Use 5 because of snacking and regrouping, otherwise I use 6. So 25 miles I would guesstimate to 4-4.5 hour
mira

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:04 pm

mira wrote:When calculating distances I use 5-6-7 mph. Depending a bit for how long distances we are looking at. If they are long, I. Use 5 because of snacking and regrouping, otherwise I use 6. So 25 miles I would guesstimate to 4-4.5 hour

Jessie still looks to be about 3:55 behind Thomas. That means she has gained 5-10 mins.

Eskil
SuldalsXpressen

Postby mira » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:10 pm

Jessie has 9 miles to go to Koyuk and are going slowly on the ice. Thomas has been there for almost 2.5 hour, so the difference will be around 4.5 hour when she arrives. Give and take. Of course, Thomas will need to go to Elim during midday, while the teams behind will start in the afternoon, getting cooler temperatures. But they are going in warmer conditions now, I think you shouldn't over think too much.

Brent rested for exactly three hours on the ice. He has 18 miles to go to Koyuk, that is three-four hours. I don't think he will stop in Koyuk, so I think he is still a couple of hours behind Thomas, but I guess he will leave Koyuk in second?

I think Brent is in a good position to catch and pass the Jessie-group, since he most likely will only stop for one lo g break before WM (on trail between Koyuk and Elim).
mira

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:12 pm

SuldalsXpressen wrote:
mira wrote:When calculating distances I use 5-6-7 mph. Depending a bit for how long distances we are looking at. If they are long, I. Use 5 because of snacking and regrouping, otherwise I use 6. So 25 miles I would guesstimate to 4-4.5 hour

Jessie still looks to be about 3:55 behind Thomas. That means she has gained 5-10 mins.

Eskil

3:50 behind.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SuldalsXpressen

Postby elsietee » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:17 pm

Here's the latest tracker-snap.

I'm going to wait until Nic and Pete arrive in Shak, then post another "times" shot.

Brent rested 3 hours on Norton Sound, and Paige rested 3:49. I'm thinking they are aiming to go half way to Elim from here? then do one more jump to WM?
Everyone else in the front group rested a similar amount of time in Shak (except Thomas, who got 4:15).

Brent's strategy puts him 21 miles closer to WM, and Paige gave herself an extra 8 miles (and in both cases, the other mushers didn't see what they did - while they were able to observe the teams going past - perhaps to evaluate who was waning and who was still looking strong?).
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:11 pm

Shak:

Nic and Pete have arrived, Jessie and Michelle have left.

See Pete's speed!
elsietee

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk