Pizza for Karin Hendrickson

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Pizza for Karin Hendrickson

Postby libby the lab » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:00 am

Your Mods had to make a very quick decision so we hope you support us!
We are sending Karin a pizza in Unalakleet, paid for our of our patch money! We found a goggle doc where people were signing up to send pizzas to mushers. Karin was available and she has been both a guest as "Ask a Musher" and posted in our forum, so we thought she was a great choice. I will call Pizza on Earth 2 hours before her arrival and order. I asked on her Facebook page for her friends to let me know what kind of pizza she likes. Please feel free to remind here when she is getting close to Unalakleet. :D
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Re: Pizza for Karin Hendrickson

Postby flowerpower » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:19 am

Yeah! I saw on the sheet we were signed up but didn't know how it was going to work. Good job! :D
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby elsietee » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:30 am

Er... I was watching the QRILL coverage last night and they did a piece on the pizza place in Unk... and had footage you on the phone ordering Karin's pizza and thanking the chef!! Too funny.

The pizza guy said he'd probably send out 100 pizzas during the race.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby tanglefoot » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:42 am

Brilliant idea!

A musher, cant remember who said they always get several
So they get them put in a box and they mush them to shaktoolik for them to eat as he can’t eat so many himself
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Moose » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:51 am

Cool. Good gesture.

I'm social distancing--is that what it's called?--and laying low at home with my dogs. I'm all set for food and necessities, but last night I was CRAVING chocolate with nuts and something salty and crunchy! A few hours ago I phoned our local "mom & pop" to ask if they are open (they are) and whether their shelves, like so many other store shelves in the area, are stripped bare (they are not)! The clerk on the phone assured me I'd find what I'm craving there. So I drove down and walked in to find about 12 pizza boxes stacked on the check-out counter, ready to be moved out the door! It made me think of Peace on Earth pizza. Coincidence, or what? 8-) 8-)
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby libby the lab » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:53 am

Unfortunately that was not me on the phone. Their line has been busy today. I will keep trying. If she already has pizza from others I will see if anybody is not covered. If not we will definitely do next year!!
RIP Libby and Hank

libby the lab

Postby fladogfan » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:10 pm

Moose, today I had meds to pick up from Costco, to enter the store we had to get in a line and wait till the employee said it was OK to go into the store. I think they are trying to keep it from being such a mad house as it was Friday when I was there. As people left then more were let in.

Then a stop at Publix (grocery store) which was also nuts last Friday, today still busy, no carts available, all in use. A lot of the shelves are empty including most of the meat sections and parts of the frozen foods.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby mira » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:47 am

Karin is resting on trail at 676, Unalakleet is 714. Still some hours until she reaches Unalakleet!
mira

Postby libby the lab » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:03 am

Karin is 30 miles out. Still no answer at Peace on Earth. I will try again in a while. I was hoping with the back of the pack and UNK not being as busy I might get through. I see on the goggle doc some others have not gotten through. :(
RIP Libby and Hank

libby the lab

Postby mira » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:57 am

Tried lately? I think she is still more than 2 hours out.
mira

Next

Return to Mushing Talk