Koyuk > Elim > Golovin Bay > White Mtn

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Koyuk > Elim > Golovin Bay > White Mtn

Postby elsietee » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:54 am

Di* wrote:...But Ouch! 13 that don't belong there?! Sleep deprived and tired, not too diplomatic but I think I get what he's saying!

yes, I thought the same thing listening to the interview, which is why I tried to transcribe it word for word. Mitch has always been a little like that, though. He softens more at the end of the the interview by saying that what he did might not work another time.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:00 pm

elsietee wrote:
COHusky wrote:yes, thank you elsietee

any insight/update on nic?

It was my pleasure, guys. I'm glad you were able to "watch".

As far as Nic, nope, nothing. Nothing coming from Heister/Bruce today, and Nic still hasn't moved since he returned at 2:30 pm.

Any news on Nic? He left Elim two times!! Last one just a short trip out on the ice. He must have problems with his dogs or himself... :o :o

Eskil
Mmmmmm...... Unalakleet... DO'H!!!
SuldalsXpressen

Postby elsietee » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:35 pm

Have to rerun the tracker to see about Nic, but in the meantime, we have another race going on back in the low 20s-places.

Jessica Klejka, Jason C, Lance, Tim Pappas, and Lev crossing through the hills on the way to Golovin Bay. This is going to be a fun one to watch as they head towards WM:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:42 pm

Hmm, I see it now - he made a foray out about a quarter mile last night ~10:30 pm and only got this far before turning back. Doesn't look good:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elsietee

Postby fladogfan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:51 pm

elsietee wrote:Hmm, I see it now - he made a foray out about a quarter mile last night ~10:30 pm and only got this far before turning back. Doesn't look good:

That must have been when i saw his tracker on the ice.

I've been wondering about Lance also, he was doing so well early on. Good he's on the move again with a group to run with too.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby mira » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:07 am

Di* wrote:
elsietee wrote:Mitch upon arrival in WM - says something like "We're here... I don't think I could have got another one - wouldn't like to run the table."

Mitch: I was in 15th in Nulato, so there were 14 ahead of me and 13 of them didn't belong there. That's one way to look at it. You reporter types are out there, oogling the front guys - a long string of guys not winning yet - ... sometimes they are, you can't know that, right? I remember Runyan used to say stuff like 'guys hanging back in 5th-6th place like vultures on a limb'... well, maybe they're actually winning the race? I don't know, things just worked out well for me on this run. It could be entirely different next time we try the same thing

Got to give those Seavey's credit, they are masterminds at the mathematical side of things, always crunching the numbers and expertly managing their dog teams~ Impressive! But Ouch! 13 that don't belong there?! Sleep deprived and tired, not too diplomatic but I think I get what he's saying! That is how you have to think to remain steadfast in your plan and not react to what's happening around you. Or at least I think that is what he meant ;) :)

Yes, in his mind he is contending to win, and he will keep doing his stuff and he thinks that he should be in front of most of them, and if he stick to his plan and do his stuff he will win (or perhaps second). But back in Nulato... I wonder which musher he was thinking was a contender :D Also, I think the Seaveys do this (even more so in Dallas) more like you see in other sports. We have had several high contenders world champs in Norway who are able to state such thing as this.
mira

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:50 am

Woah!! What a drama!!
Nic Petit is now hunkered down between Elim and Golovin. He and Rilay Dyche had company up over the hill between Elim and Golovin, but Dyche turned back while Petit is staying put. What on earth is happening?? Strong winds? Snow storm?

Eskil
Mmmmmm...... Unalakleet... DO'H!!!
SuldalsXpressen

Postby mira » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:57 am

Current weather observation (this is from Golovin airport)
The report was made 8 minutes ago, at 09:45 UTC
Wind 31 mph from the South/Southeast with gusts up to 39 mph

That is quite strong wind, that is 7 in beaufort which means sterk kuling in Norwegian/moderate gale.

Elim says:
Wind 18 mph from the South with gusts up to 24 mph
mira

Postby mira » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:58 am

mira

Postby Moose » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:17 am

At White Mountain: Wind 25 mph from the South with gusts up to 31 mph Temperature 32°F Humidity 100%

Temp at 32 and 100% humidity!! My little weather station might be off, but even when it's pouring here, I've never seen 100% humidity.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk