Why- announced times at finish different from standings?

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Why- announced times at finish different from standings?

Postby RAIMIS2 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:51 am

Watching on Insider live,... Iditarod site has Waerner's finishing time 9days 10 hours etc.. But the woman announcing the finishing times for subsequent musher has 9 days 9 hours etc,... why are the announced times at the finish line shorter than the official final times I see in the standings?
RAIMIS2

Re: Why- announced times at finish different from standings?

Postby flowerpower » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:54 pm

Daylight savings? No idea, just throwing out a guess?
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby mira » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:22 am

Is it for all mushers or only some? I mean, if there are humans being looking at a watch I would expect some errors.
mira

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:53 am

RAIMIS2 wrote:Watching on Insider live,... Iditarod site has Waerner's finishing time 9days 10 hours etc.. But the woman announcing the finishing times for subsequent musher has 9 days 9 hours etc,... why are the announced times at the finish line shorter than the official final times I see in the standings?

I recall being bewildered one time the lady said finishing time. I think I settled on her just saying 9 instead of 19. I think 19 hours was more or less correct for the musher she was checking in.

Eskil
Mmmmmm...... Unalakleet... DO'H!!!
SuldalsXpressen

Return to Mushing Talk