Rerouting of trail

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Rerouting of trail

Postby Leaddog » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:45 pm

Looks like they were on the verge of being able to connect to that winter trail (blue line) if they had been able to clear that little saddle and go down the relatively modest downhill to the creek where the winter trail runs. But according to a post on Buser's Facebook account, the group was being led by trailbreakers on snowmachines and THEY couldn't find a path through the snow either.
Leaddog

Postby elsietee » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:46 pm

That's quite the climb they made. Guessing when they got to the top and looked over the other side they decided "Uh... yeah, nope..."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby Moose » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:48 pm

Someone posted that the climb itself wasn't so bad, but that once they reached the saddle, conditions deteriorated.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby mira » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:49 pm

If you look at the GPS maps there is a small white line called Iditarod trail (don't think it's a road). It stops on the hilltop north of the blue iditarod trail (where it turns more west). But no, it doesn't like a natural way to go and harder than the other.

elim.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mira

Postby mira » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:50 pm

Moose wrote:Someone posted that the climb itself wasn't so bad, but that once they reached the saddle, conditions deteriorated.

Yes, but these teams are going on a different trail than the other teams have done. Just to complicate stuff. I wonder if they will make it to Nome at all.
mira

Postby mira » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:52 pm

From Busers facebook, two postings:

The remaining 11 teams in the Iditarod Race are traveling on the overland Mail trail to Golovin. There is an “established” trail but it has not been used this year. The snow machines going out front will have to find the trail so the going will be quite SLOW!!!!! Martin says the plan is for them to work together to get everyone to White Mountian. Long day for those watching. Send positive energy out to the trail.

...and then update

The Elim 11 have returned to Elim. Trail breakers couldn’t find the trail. It was windy up on top but good to get the dogs out for some exercise. The checkers and vets had the checkpoint all tidied up but now they crew is back. Dogs are enjoying the fresh straw. Time to regroup and decide what to do tomorrow. OR MAYBE try to get out tonight!!!!

But this explains why they were so slow going when I looked earlier. The trail breakers are really doing a great job! It's great they are trying to do this together
mira

Postby elsietee » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:17 pm

mira wrote:If you look at the GPS maps there is a small white line called Iditarod trail (don't think it's a road). It stops on the hilltop north of the blue iditarod trail (where it turns more west). But no, it doesn't like a natural way to go and harder than the other.

Ah, I see now. I wasn't zoomed in enough. I followed the trail... and then it petered out. Maybe it's supposed to just continue along the ridge (as shown by my dashed lines)?

Plotted that trail on the USGS Topo map. (red line is what our mushers did, turquoise is what the other mushers did, dark blue is what that trail does)
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby mira » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:57 pm

Nice work! Yes, I think what you suggest is the one trail making sense. But I understand why they prefer the sea ice when possible!
mira

Postby fladogfan » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:57 pm

Thanks elsie and mira, helps when you do that plotting and planning stuff.

There is an airport in Elim, I guess they could fly from there but I sure hope all of the teams make it to Nome.

Not fair to 'withdraw' any of them, if a team wants to scratch, that's different.

Good attitude, the dogs got exercise and had fresh straw for bedding. Probably helped the mushers too, just to get out and doing something.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby dashdel » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:22 pm

yea they're done, or should be..... I wouldn't put my dogs through that... dogs remember.. Petit 3 times?
anyways, let Iditarod get them out. I would=== I! would be wise......
dashdel

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk