All Alaska Sweepstakes

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

All Alaska Sweepstakes

Postby glengarrian » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:58 pm

http://www.allalaskasweepstakes.org/]

I've made a .kml file which shows the checkpoints on the Alaska Sweepstakes trail. It displays in Google earth and probably will in Google maps. I'd have to do some experimenting to be certain. If anyone were interested I'll attempt to attach it to a post on this thread.
I want to display the trail itself with more accuracy than just drawing straight lines from CP to CP. I notice in Google Earth that there are "winter trails" displayed between the CP's. Since there are often two or more choices, I'm at a bit of a loss which one if to follow. I've checked the AK S site but haven't found any info on the route other than the C P locations. Anyone have any thoughts.

Here's the map I have so far. It says here in the fine print that if you click on the link provided it will take you to a google map of the AK S route. Actually this is similar to the picture of the route displayed on the AK S website under race route. The difference is you can zoom in and get a close up view of the terrain they are traveling through. I put the map in to my maps and made it public. Clicking on the "tiny url" link should take you there.
Note: while it is possible to grab the map and slide it where you will, soometimes that causes the browser to crash . If you are going to move more than five miles down the trail I suggest you use the zoom buttons and the move buttons at the left of the map segment. Comments and suggestions are welcome. No promises on execution. I'm sort of feeling my way here. If you get to wanting to execute me, on the other hand, I demand a 2/3 majority.

http://tinyurl.com/2kq3xs
glengarrian

Re: All Alaska Sweepstakes

Postby glengarrian » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:07 pm

Thanks Di. Appreciate that. I need all the help I can get, obviously:)
glengarrian

Postby aren » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:35 pm

Well done glengarrian :) :) :) Great map, that is going to be a big help during the Sweepstakes. Thanks a lot for sharing it with us :) :) :)
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!aren
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby glengarrian » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:37 pm

You're quite welcome :)
glengarrian

Postby fladogfan » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:38 pm

Yes, thanks glengarrian, this map looks like it will be a big help.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:02 pm

good job Di...this needed its own thread.

Hey glengarrian Thanks for the map....

I'll do the stats if some Iditabuddy does the prize for the AAS...
Peace,Love and SnowDogsGo...
ThisSpaceForRent

All Alaska Sweepstakes

Postby StarDancer » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:07 pm

Hello Mushing Friends,
Will the BSSD Talk Forums be operating for the All Alaska Sweepstakes? Can we have another TTP contest? I'll buy the hat for the winner. StarDancer
StarDancer

Postby fladogfan » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:12 pm

Star dancer, come to chat room. Yes there will be some still here following All Ak.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby mithious » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:37 pm

Hi StarDancer :shock: :D :shock: :D

Where have you been my friend? Sooooo very glad to see you on the board :D :D :D Happy Dance :D :D :D :D

Huge loves and Hugs and sooo glad you're back with us :D :D :D :D :D :D
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby StarDancer » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:06 pm

Yes, this Talk Forum will be open for the All Alaska Sweepstakes (AAS). Stay tuned for info about a TTP contest. I just ordered the AAS hat!
StarDancer

Next

Return to Mushing Talk