All Alaska Sweepstakes

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: All Alaska Sweepstakes

Postby deafcat » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:58 pm

Hi all - I want to bury this question in here rather than draw too much attn. with a new thread. Forgive me if it's already been discussed: if you can't drop a dog during this race, what's to stop an unscrupulous driver from trying to push an injured or tired dog (assuming the vets trust musher's assessments)?
deafcat

Postby dilli » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:07 pm

All mushers sign over their dog teams to the Nome Kennel Club before the race start. If dogs have been pushed over the edge, the musher forfeits the team. There's plenty of folks keeping an eye on the dogs and mushers. Obviously, none of the mushers entered in this race are unscrupulous. :D
We've got treats
dilli

Postby tanglefoot » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:39 pm

im sure that any of the mushers would rather forfit 100,000 for the health of their dogs and team. i would and im sure these guys would too.
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby dilli » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:41 pm

I agree Tangles. 8-)

New Blog post from Josh .. who seems to be the only source of semi-current information for us Outsider fans that I know of .. .. explains what happened to Hugh and why he scratched. What a bummer. More to be revealed. Hugh's been mushing back to Nome.

http://www.iditablog.com/
We've got treats
dilli

Postby deafcat » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:18 pm

tanglefoot wrote:im sure that any of the mushers would rather forfit 100,000 for the health of their dogs and team. i would and im sure these guys would too.

Well, I believe that, too, in my heart. You know me... I'm not exactly a lurker or a zealot. I just want to know the pups are having fun.
deafcat

Postby deafcat » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:21 pm

Wow. Poor Hugh. That really sucks.

(Hugh's wife? When did that happen???? Under the arch in Nome a few weeks ago she was still his girlfriend!)
deafcat

Postby tanglefoot » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:22 pm

just got word from eskil hes about to fly home, at the airport. im keeping him updated and aukfan updated via cell phone text messages when the board refreshes of the top 3 boys.. he wil be in the air when the finisher wins...im on early breakfast...but will try and get up in the night to check cam stats etc......
tanglefoot

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:35 pm

Seavey into Timber 16:22:00 03/28 06:00 2 days
Last edited by ThisSpaceForRent on Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo
Peace,Love and SnowDogsGo...
ThisSpaceForRent

Postby tanglefoot » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:44 pm

wheres lance! off to bed so i can get up and check stats in a few hours..then work for 7.30am ..bah! night all........happy F5ing

oh nearly forgot got an email from assistant race director in nome, lisa, i sent an email thanking everyone for the race coverage and hard work putting it on from all of us and named a few places where we are.....

she is gonna read out a special mention and a quote from the email at the banquet..to say thanks from us guys.how cool is that!!!!! iditabuddies rock!
tanglefoot

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:09 pm

Matty...

You ROCK....GoBSSDGo 8-)

dsw
Peace,Love and SnowDogsGo...
ThisSpaceForRent

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk