Frozen taking questions...

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Frozen taking questions...

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:31 pm

Right, Frozen, thanks so much. I have some questions concerning snowmachines. Can you drive them anywhere you want to? And for any purpose? Is it possible to rent snowmachines? IF I ever go to Alaska to see the Iditarod I wonder how much I could be able to move around using snowmachines. Could I for instance fly to Takotna, snowmachine to the Yukon. Fly to Unk, snowmachine up the coast to Nome? Are there restrictions on the use of snowmachines on the Iditarod trail during the race??

Eskil
Mmmmmm...... Unalakleet... DO'H!!!
SuldalsXpressen

Postby Frozen Chosen » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:55 am

Eskil is that you? Hey dude, I'll answer any question for you, and also, I have yet to post my Sigrid pics! Yes, I have Sigrid on my laptop and I will post today if at all possible...but snowmachines, ok. Sulds, you can go anywhere you so desire, hey man, isn't this supposed to be a free nation? Come on, what did our forefathers die for? So we can start making a bunch a rules all over again? Anyway...

Yes, you can pretty much ride a snowmachine anywhere, just don't let the semi's run you over...Anywhere off the road system, of course, where there is ample amount of snow...watch out for thin ice/open leads even along a river/overflow (which can be the worst thing you get bogged into, because it can be mixed with snow and very deep). I'm not sure about RENTING snowmachines, never heard of it, but you never know what them Matanuska Valley dudes/gals (our Good Gov Sarah is one as is that Idita-dude Martin B) get into. That's a very good question re: renting, i'll have to look into that. But i'm sure you can get one on a loan if you wanted to go on a long trip up the trail.

In the Anchor-Town area, you have to "get out of Dodge" and out into the back country, and if it's the Iditarod, there are alot of trails leaving the Big Lake/Willow area and on up the Iditarod trail. Many people ride it, there is no law/rule as far as I know regarding this trail. From Knik area on up I think maybe to iditarod, it is a National historic trail, and really that is a POLITICAL deal. That means a governmental entity has authority over it. But since it is likened to a national park, the public has access to it and that rules are/will be formed to govern the public use of it.

But for now, SuldsX, you can drive/walk/snowmachine/dogteam/ski/crawl up that trail and you know what, IT IS YOUR TRAIL when you use it. Just watch out for that Sigrid or Kjetil, don't run over 'em or else they will be very MMAADDD Norwegians and I sure would not want a descendent of the Viking to get mad at me!!!! (Wonder if it's worse when a Vike gets mad at another vike?)

You can fly into any community along the trail (all the villages have airline service, just fork out the $$$, fly into a place, fork out more $$$ and maybe someone may loan or ride you out out on the trail. I would love to host a group of forum dudes each year (time is the factor as is a bit a $$! ((yes frozen needs a bit a both))), and you know, those of you that are getting to know me, and you check out okay at the Insane Asylum Clinic, your welcome to my abode here in the Interior!

As far as I know, there are no restrictions during the race, but I'm sure ITC is working on this behind the scenes. That's what Ak politics is all about...that old last frontier characteristic: One big man/group trying to outmuscle all others...and most of it is behind the scenes...guess the national/global guys do that too, but that's another story...
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:54 am

ON CELL...

THANKS, FROZEN! I'M VERY EXCITED ABOUT GOING TO ALASKA, HOPE IT ISN'T TOO FAR INTO THE FUTURE I GET TO GO...

ON MY WAY TO FRISCO NOW, IT'LL BE FUN TOO I HOPE.

ALL THE BEST,
ESKIL
Mmmmmm...... Unalakleet... DO'H!!!
SuldalsXpressen

Postby Frozen Chosen » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:07 am

Your going to Frisco now? Hey dude, how come not Ak? Come on up! I'll host you! Stop by the clinic at Frisco first...just kidding...

frozen
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk